Best E-Fan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so long story short, I had my new fan clutch failed twice on the same trip… So, needless to say, I would like to switch to Electric fans!

My question is, in doing some research I found that some people put a Ford Windstar fan in, which is fine, but in older threads some other people put in separate aftermarket fans, which one would work best? And, do I have to have an expensive controller? Or, could I just install a grounding temperature sensor in the thermostat housing that would actuate the negative side of an appropriately rated relay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, when programming a controller or buying switches, I know from reading that they should be 5 degrees apart, but haven't seen a good starting temperature yet. What should the first fan (or low speed) kick on at?

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You answer our questions, not the other way around....

The Windstar fan you mention I have seen on many an F150 from our era of Expy.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason I chose the Windstar fan is that it pulls 4100cfm. They are very available from most junk yards and are cheap. Plus they are a close fit to the expedition radiator if you checked out my electric fan conversion thread. If you haven't, it should be in my Sig.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason I chose the Windstar fan is that it pulls 4100cfm. They are very available from most junk yards and are cheap. Plus they are a close fit to the expedition radiator if you checked out my electric fan conversion thread. If you haven't, it should be in my Sig.

your sig is blank mate..

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Bowes, I did read your thread multiple times :)

Does anyone know the low side kick in temp?

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for reading. Sorry my sig doesnt show when I post from my phone apparently. I hope its helpful! The low side kick in temp for my 185 deg. Switch actually turns on at 190 deg. and then it shuts off at 175 deg.. You can buy different temp switches and I believe they will be within 5 degrees of advertised. Unless thats not what you meant...

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No it is, that's what I needed... I don't remember what the factory thermostat rating is but my thoughts would be that the fan should be set to kick on within around 5-10 degrees of its opening...