Creaking/popping with suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

celticfdguy

Reaction score
Over this past summer I got rid of my air ride and converted to the Monroe kit. All was fine till we started to get VERY cold weather here on Long Island. The weather was down near 10 degrees.... Well that being said, I noticed once the cold weather hit I started to hear poping and creaking with my front suspension. I started to worry but yesterday, it was nearly 50 degrees and all sounds went away. Tonight, I drove it since it got cold again and I hear the sounds, but more pronounced.

Is this a normal thing to experience with the Monroe kit? I never heard this the past 3 winters... Not sure if I should be worried or not. Can anyone else who has the Monroe kit chime in?

Thanks!
Nick

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sir, no experiences w/ your setup.
However, contraction certainly occurs in just about all materials when cold, and expansion when warm(er). I would not worry.
That being said, there are also some zerks grease fittings on the whole front end that might need greasing. Here again, clearly unrelated, but something to consider as well.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you might be surprised to find there are not any grease fitting on the stock parts. Or not many. I can't think of any of the stock suspension parts that had grease fittings. Not the ball joints, tie rod ends, universal joints. None of mine came from the factory with grease fittings. Does anybody know of any?

I have the Monroe kit on the Navigator and I have noticed a noise(creak) coming from the front end when it's cold. I have new upper control arms and new lower ball joints. I also have one new tie rod on each side....

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Test and see if its when you just turn the wheel right and left or when your moving or a combination of both. Ball joint tend to start making noises when they start going south! And it usually sound like what you described.