Cylinder #3 Misfire....All out of ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salsa1180

Reaction score
First of all i would like to say that im new to the forums and really love the site and the insight that other members have.
Ok now to the problem, I have a 1997 with the 5.4 and had some misfiring going on, sometimes really bad where its jerking and bouncing like crazy, and sometimes just sputtering. Its pretty much through the entire drive cycle, and even at idle i can feel it. I got a scanner and it showed a P0303 which is a #3 Cylinder Misfire. I have done what i know so far. Tested the injector and incoming pwr and pulse signal(good), swapped it with number 1, still P0303. Tested the COP, pwr and pulse(good), swapped it with #1, still P0303. Changed the plug just to see (OE replacement 'motocraft double plat'. Seemed to run better for a day or so, and then right back to the way it has been. I think a compression test is next, but the question is, what would you very wise men and women do? I'm at a loss next to just tearing it down. I will admit that i have worked on pretty much 66-89 motors that were much much simpler(in my opinion). Any help would be great because i love my ride with the setup i have on it and really want to keep it. But if i can do anything soon then the ol' toy will have to go. Thanks in advance!
Tony

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just from experience sounds like a bad coil. i know you said you tried everything and swapped coil 1 with 3 but if i were a betting man my money would be on the coil pack. 100%. they are notorious for your symptoms!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah i would change it. i under stand you changed 1 with 3. but then you're putting the bad one on 1. so that will make that one misfire. go buy a new one and it should solve your issue. i'm going to go buy a new one tomorrow. i have a mis on 3 as well.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Salsa, when you swapped coils, did you leave the boots where they were or did you swap COPs and boots. It sounds like to me that you have a bad boot on #3 and your spark is jumping essentially through the boot to the block, bypassing the spark plug. that leads to your misfire. If replacing the boot and COP does not fix your issue, then I would be looking at the wiring really closely. I bet you will find a pin that has a high resistance connection for #3 COP.

bigcat203

Reaction score
I had the excat same problem. If the coil on plugs have been switch and still getting the same code, then its the injector. just because it has the ohms, and is actuating, doesnt mean its give the right amount. I picked up 8 injectorson ebay from a company in FL that rebuilds them with a lifetime warrenty. Its easier than rebuilding them yourself, and way cheaper that new.

Tha1Mike

Reaction score
I believe you need to change the coil as well. I have also from experience had changed a bad coil and still came up with the same problem. I found out that water was leaking into that coil and fowling the spark. Just make sur you use plenty of boot grease when replacing it.