EGR valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 97 4.6 threw a p0402 so I figured I would just replace the egr and egr pressure switch and check all the lines in the process. They look to be original and the truck has 130000 on the clock. I know I may have to pull the throttle body too and clean the ports. Trouble is, looking on Rock Auto the pictures they have of the egr valve are different than mine. Here is what Rock shows
getimage.php

Mine does not have that vacuum port on the top. I double checked it. No small lines going to it. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow if needed. Am I seeing this incorrectly or what?

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something isnt right! There should be a vac line connected to it because thats what operated the EGR. You should go out and look, there should be a green vac line that goes from the EGR Vac Solenoid to the EGR valve.

Maybe it got broken off. you cant miss it cause on the egr vac solenoid there is one vac connection with 2 hoses ones red and the others green.

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok here's a picture showing what I believe to be the related parts. Please correct me if I am wrong. This pictures shows the EGR valve with no vacuum port on the top. Please note that all the lines are black.

RED A is the hoses from the EGR switch to the EGR line
GREEN B is the EGR line
Lavendar C is the EGR valve
BLUE D is the EGR switch

arrows.png

Here's a little different angle

egr.png

Last edited:

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
egr.png

I was incorrect, the vac lines coming off the Vac Solenoid are green and white!

But this should solve your problem!

OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was incorrect, the vac lines coming off the Vac Solenoid are green and white!

But this should solve your problem!
I'll be darned.... thanks! I moved the ********* line out of the way and presto!

I would not have thought the vac line would come out of the side like that, all the replacements come out of the center of the top. I would think it would suck on a diaphragm from the center. As long as the new style is the same, I'm in the game. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,388
OP
OP
jrjr

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed the EGR and EGR DPFE valve today. In process I found one of the heavy hoses deteriorated and Leaking. That was probably the issue to start with but I put in the new parts anyway. So far no codes..... fingers crossed. I cut out the bad part and inserted a steel tube for now.

Local parts houses don't carry hose like this. Its really heavy wall with some sort of silicone inside. I hate to order from a dealer.... anyone got a source? Its the 2 hoses that go to the DPFE. 1 small 1 larger.

I did find this-
http://apdty.com/item.wws?sku=M40001&itempk=172072&mfr=TCS&weight=1
But i'm not sure if it would be applicable to my year -97

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another option would be tasca parts... one of our vendors but I know people have changed theirs out...