Fun with brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last week I changed the front pads. Some were just broken. When I squeezed the caliper piston in, a squirt of dot 3 shot out. So I knew I needed to do a rebuild. This in on a 2 year old caliper. So I monitored the fluid level and topped it off once. I had soft braking action.

Today I did the caliper rebuild and bleed, and thought all was good, until I did a test drive. The pedal went to the floor. The steel line going to the rear had rusted, and that's where my fluid was leaking from. Just in front of the back wheel.

So I get to have some more fun changing that out. I'm going to install a union somewhere along the frame. This truck is not a keeper. I just need it to run a few more years.

I understand that it's a 3/16" line going back. Any tips on the procedure?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just think of this The line rusted thru. Now you could simply repair the area where the leak was but then if the line has any other areas that are weak you just might be putting a band aid or it. The best advice I would give would be to replace the whole line. Being you plan to get a few more years out of it.

That may be the expensive fix but what price do you put on your safety or the safety of others?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking about our safety.

I replaced 6' of the line today. From the back tee forward to under the driver seat. Bled the rear calipers. And the darn thing still leaks in the same spot, about a foot in front of the rear wheel. My connections are dry. I ran the new line on the outside of the frame. I can hear air escaping when I push the brake pedal (with the motor off). I could not get the old line out, so I left it in place.

What did I miss?

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the brake system is hydraulic how is it that you hear air escaping after bleeding the system?

The old line could be dripping any remaining brake fluid left in it.

May help to post some pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I am puzzled. Maybe the line I replaced was ok. So when I push the pedal, I hear air letting out. The pedal goes to the floor. Fluid begins to leak to the ground.

I don't know if there's another line in the vicinity, except for the one crossing over to the passenger rear caliper. I just don't know now. Ugh!

hades02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue right now. Thought it was the rubber hose but turns out it's the steel line. It appears that there are two steel lines. One coming to the caliper and what appears to be a return. I will post my findings as I take everything apart.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Each caliper should have one line connecting it to the abs system. That way once a wheel is locked the systems relieves pressure on that line so that it starts rotating again. The other l8ne should go to one of the rear calipers.
The brake fluid isn't being circulated so there isn't a need for a return line.

OP
OP
A

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So at the tee on the frame in front of the left rear wheel, the bottom line is incoming from the master...the middle one feeds the left rear caliper...so where is the top most line going to? Where is the line coming from that feeds the right rear? And where the heck is that abs module? Thanks. I have to get this working fast.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I double checked the manual, the rear brakes are fed by a single line that does tee off to both calipers instead of individual lines.
You need to inspect the line for where the leak is while a helper applies the brakes. ABS module is up in the engine compartment.

Last edited: