Hesitation and shuddering at 45mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoTim

Reaction score
Members I have a problem with my 1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L Expedition. When cold and even sometimes when warm while drivering the expedition starts to shudder and hesitate at 45mph and continues on up. I have changed the COP's, plugs, fuel filter, transmission fluid and filter. At times the engine light will flicker wile the shuddering is happening. No codes will display. My EXP has 176000 miles. It idles fine and for the most part runs fine except for the issue noted. What could cause this current issue?

Last night I drove the truck with the Overdrive off. No shuddering at 45 mph. Could this issue be related to my transmission?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroncoTim

Reaction score
Update

After alot of investigation it may be my new COP coils. They are the summit brand and are a higher voltage than stock. After reading deaper into the reviews I saw several people post that the coils caused there vehicles to shudder and run rough at higher rpms. Based on this I just bought a set of Accel brand. There reviews did not list any issues. When they arrive I will swap them out with the Summit brand.

Have any of you had issues with the summit or accel brand coils on your fords?