Low Oil Pressure - Gauge/Light Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know many other first gen owners have this problem, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I've had my oil pressure gauge/light show low oil over the past couple years intermittently. It typically occurred during start up on cold days/nights.

Finally, I got around to tackling the problem. If you have this same issue, here is the probable cause and solution.

The oil pressure switch went bad and needed to be replaced. The part costs about $10 and can be found at local auto part stores. The part has a threaded end and an end with an electrical connection.

Changing the part is simple, but its location can make it a bit tricky. It is located on the bracked which the oil filter screws into (if your oil filter is on the block; I'm not sure abuot those with the relocation kits).

I changed the part mid-oil change (obviously after I drained the old oil). I swapped the part out and the problem was fixed.

I hope this helps someone. :happy160:

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. Both the gauge and light work the same way. They both show either normal or low pressure--no in between or high. So if the pressure is low enough to activate the switch, the light comes on and the needle drops all the way to the minimum. Otherwise, the light is off and the needle with float exactly in the middle.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had my oil pressure gauge/light show low oil over the past couple years intermittently. It typically occurred during start up on cold days/nights.

I hope this helps someone. :happy160:

Thanks for the write-up as I have those exact same symptons. Next oil change I'll replace the oil pressure switch. :favorites13:

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue, my oil gauge jumps around randomly at times. i have the oil cooler so my oil filter is behind the bumper on the drivers side. I need to find where the switch is located.