Multiple Radiator replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

case2001

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1999 Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4. Owned her since 2000. Second owner. Best car/truck I have every owned.

I have had all work done on her by my local Ford Dealer or myself. Over the past 4 years I have had the radiator replace 2 to 3 times. The current radiator is only 14months old. This one replaced by Ford Dealer. It is leaking at the passenger side lower seam where the aluminum meets the plastic. The system has been checked by the Ford dealer for over pressure, head gasket leak and a new water pump, thermostat, and reservoir pressure cap replaced. Coolant is green type placed by Ford Dealer. If I added any it was premixed Preston. I have check for electrolysis and the voltage reading is always in normal range.

The truck runs great. I have no complaints. But is there something I am missing? Are the OEM replacement radiators this bad? Any thoughts or help appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have seen a few of these but no one replies with what it was. I really don't think its a head gasket. Oil and water both clean. The leak in same place on the radiator. I would think the dealer would have already found a head gasket issue. And if the system was over pressurizing why wouldn't it just vent though the pressure cap and eventually over flow? Also if blown head gasket I don't understand how it could be the same place on the radiator. I am really beginning to think it is the mount for some reason. Maybe the radiator mounts are old and it twists the radiator?

Help!!

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
I have only had the radiator changed by the dealer. I have looked in the areas that you show in the video but only with the radiator in place. I could have easily missed if the support was weakened. I did spray the rubber grommets that support the radiator with some silicone to soften them up to see if that changed anything. I am going to drive her a little while. Right now the leak is a very slow pressure leak. Not even any fluid on ground. System holds low pressure probably around 10 lbs or less. No where near the 16lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok. I checked for electrolysis. My voltage was .15 volts. I also checked all my grounds. All were checked from negative terminal to respective ground. I checked to block, to alternator case, frame and body. All were .5 ohms or less. The last thing I did was notice the upper radiator support bracket was actually lifting the upper hose I thought maybe that was pulling on the upper radiator hose when accelerating.

So I have driven today and no leak. Pressure normal in the system. I am sure the leak will return with more thermal cycles, but since the only thing I changed was loosening the supports and spraying the mounts with silicone as well as taking off the pressure of the upper radiator support bracket, I think my problem was the radiator getting twisted from the dry tight mounts and the upper support arm. That would explain the leaks in the same location on the different radiators at the same seam location.

I will try to post periodically to keep the thread up dated.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok replaced radiator. I also cleaned the degass bottle. There was a lot of trash in the bottle. It went well. The only issue I have had is a leak from the transmission cooler lines to the radiator. I didn't want to over tighten so I think i just didnt get them quite tight enough. The lower was leaking so I removed it cleaned it and reinstalled. Then tightened it a quarter turn extra. I also tighten the upper one a quarter turn more. I think that has it taken care of.

I was very careful on the placement of the new radiator. There was no binding. I checked the support and it was fine.

We will see. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Could the degass bottle have been the problem? Could it have been allowing the system to over pressurize due to all the debris? I guess we will see.

One tip for anyone pulling the radiator with the lower hose being the twist 45 degree type. I found in much easier to pull the degass bottle and remove the lower radiator hose at the block. Then once the radiator is out twist the lower hose off the radiator. It is much easier to get a hold of!

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
Ok. Just an update. Everything seems to be working well. I purchased a kit to check for exhaust gases in the cooling system. I drove her for a full week and checked. No combustion gasses in the system. Checked twice. So no head gasket leak.

So I am left with bad radiators or maybe the mounting grommets were so still the were causing the radiator to bind. I have lubricated all the grommets with silicone so we will see.

OP
OP
C

case2001

Reaction score
I should add it could also have a been a problem with the degass bottle as it had a ton of debris. But believe that's least likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.