Rear axle brace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muggsy

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here...just bought a nice 2002 xlt 4x4 5.4L with standard suspension. Live in the salt belt and my stock rear suspension is most definitely rusty and rotting. Just bought new upper and lower trailing arms, noticed some sort of sqarish, slightly curved bar (not the round sway bar) right behind the axle that is rotted like crazy.. What is this bar and where can I find a stock replacement? Its in rough shape and I am looking to ensure this truck's safety..what else should I replace? The frame and floors look great, its the rear suspension and axle that are ugly!

Last edited:

2000 Ebony XLT

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here...just bought a nice 2002 xlt 4x4 5.4L with standard suspension. Live in the salt belt and my stock rear suspension is most definitely rusty and rotting. Just bought new upper and lower trailing arms, noticed some sort of sqarish, slightly curved bar (not the round sway bar) right behind the axle that is rotted like crazy.. What is this bar and where can I find a stock replacement? Its in rough shape and I am looking to ensure this truck's safety..what else should I replace? The frame and floors look great, its the rear suspension and axle that are ugly!

+1

Im a new owner of a 2000 XLT and the frame and members are rusting - though no holes - and I want to keep it that way. I plan on removing rust on this spring. If I can swap out braces and concentrate on the frame that would be outstanding.

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
noticed some sort of sqarish, slightly curved bar (not the round sway bar) right behind the axle that is rotted like crazy.. What is this bar and where can I find a stock replacement?

The part you are asking about sounds like your rear trac bar. It mounts to the frame at one end and to the rear spring mount on the axle. It is there to ensure the rearend does not move side to side. If it breaks due to rust then your rearend will move in and out from under the body. Not safe and could cause you to lose control laterally.

OP
OP
M

Muggsy

Reaction score
Ok, just to make sure, I am talking about the bar above the rear sway bar..i can't seem to find aftermarket ones, are there any for a stock suspension? And the bracket on the axle that holds it, that's pretty rusted too.. Thanks in advance!