Squeaking noise from front end. Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobleynobe

Reaction score

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ball joints, specifically lower ball joints. I am guessing your truck has about 180k on it? It is possible to do it yourself, I did mine, but plan on a full day and maybe some extra. It is best to do upper ball joints along with the inner and outer tie rods as these will need an alignment afterwards. Doing them seperately will just require multiple alignments. Doing the lower ball joints does not require an alignment, so you can do those seperately from the others.

OP
OP
N

nobleynobe

Reaction score
Ball joints, specifically lower ball joints. I am guessing your truck has about 180k on it? It is possible to do it yourself, I did mine, but plan on a full day and maybe some extra. It is best to do upper ball joints along with the inner and outer tie rods as these will need an alignment afterwards. Doing them seperately will just require multiple alignments. Doing the lower ball joints does not require an alignment, so you can do those seperately from the others.

Thank you. I'm at 118k on my expy. Another question, would I buy the entire suspension control arm w ball joint or just the ball joint alone?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the (bird chirping) noise prom my front end to when i go over bumps. mine started after i went through some 7-8 inch water a few months ago while going fishing and never went away after.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm at 118k on my expy. Another question, would I buy the entire suspension control arm w ball joint or just the ball joint alone?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Whoa I was way off haha. All three of the first gen trucks in our family started making the noise around 180k. Lower ball joints come as just the ball joint itself and then you press the old one out of the control arm. O'Reilly, Autozone, and NAPA should all rent a kit to do that, you just need an air gun and compressor. The upper ones you have to replace the whole arm. For whatever reason, they did not design those to press out.

As far as it starting after going through water, that makes sense. Water and debris probably got past the worn boot and washed out what little grease was left. Now its just metal on metal. Aftermarket ball joints come with a grease zerk so you can keep them greased after wheeling and what not.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a zerk, they have been replaced before. The ones from the factory were a sealed unit. Take a pliers and try to turn the zerk to a position you can reach. They just screw into the top.

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried yesterday that thing aint budging. Seems like the drivers side upper and lower was replaced but the passenger side is sealed.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which side is it squeaking from? I would guess they just did one side for whatever reason since that was the side squeaking at the time. I would replace the passenger side parts as well as tie rod ends on both sides.