Transmission solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmike

Reaction score
Wassup Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I hope you guys can help a brotha out.

I have a 1998 Ford Expeditinon XLT, 4x4 with a 4R100 transmission.
About a week ago my check engine and Overdrive light came on and when I put the vehicle in drive it's slow pulling off. I went to Ford for a Diagnostic and they told me I need to replace the "Transmission shift solenoid block and Transmission Solenoid block hard shell connector."

I know where the solenoid block is located but what is the solenoid block hard shell connector.
Can some send me a link or picture of the solenoid black hard shell connector?
Ford wants $789 the Shift Solenoid block and $188 for the solenoid hard shell connector.
Where can I purchase these parts for a reason price? I was also told "make sure the parts aren't from china"

Thanks
Bigmike

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome Sir.

There are some links on the homepage for parts, and some use eBay parts acquisition. There are also a few in the biz routinely posting on here too.
Can't really answer on the best place, or source though.

PanHandler.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually all the major cities will have an independent transmission repair/parts shop. Just need to Google for it, then talk to them in person.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you do anything, check your horn. If your horn does not blow, you just blew your horn fuse, which is also connected to the overdrive. The horn fuse is in the engine compartment on the LH side of the compartment. It's one of the fuses along the side of the LH fender, I believe, and may be a 20 amp fuse. Look at my writeup from 2 weeks ago. Sounds like exactly what you describe. Good luck, man!

Edit: This wasn't really a "writeup," but just a comment on another thread. And it doesn't sound EXACTLY like what you are experiencing. For example, when the horn fuse blew the other day (wrecking yard horn install must've popped it), I tried to pull the truck back in the driveway -- and she wouldn't move forward in drive. Reverse was fine, but the OD light on the stalk was blinking and she wouldn't move. Replaced the fuse and she ran just fine (check engine light is still on...). --- the truck WOULD move forward in drive, but just very slugglishly as if the ebrake were on and the tranny were slipping. And my OD light was blinking, not stuck on.

Good luck and keep us posted. Surely one of the guys on the board has experienced what you are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigmike

Reaction score
I found better priced transmission solenoid pack for my exp but I'm not sure if my truck is w/pwm or non PWM. How can I find out

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigmike

Reaction score
Transmission Solenoid pack

I found better priced transmission solenoid pack for my 98 exp but I'm not sure if my truck is w/pwm or non PWM. How can I find out