Urgent Info on rear end swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My expedition is in the shop on the rack as I type, was going to be a simple rebearing of the rear end but once opened it was shot.

I have a 8.8 3.55 (H9) in it. I found a 9.75 3.55 (H9) local with low miles from same year make and model just it had the 5.4, mine has the 4.6. Is this a bolt in swap or a headache??

I am crushed at the moment, its an expense I was not prepared for sadly so I hope this is a good idea and easily doable but don't want to buy the 9.75 until I know for sure. Tried doing a search on here but came back empty handed. Sure it was just my lack of knowing how to word it.

I can really use some help on this, even if its bone crushing come back of "its gonna be a pain in the ass"

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far Google search implies its just bolt in but I rather trust somebody beyond Google.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
It technically does bolt in, but if I remember correctly the problem is with the abs.
Someone else may have to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that the axles have different size tone rings, which will screw up the signal to the computer.

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It technically does bolt in, but if I remember correctly the problem is with the abs.
Someone else may have to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that the axles have different size tone rings, which will screw up the signal to the computer.

So still have breaks just no ABS feature? If that is the case I can live with that, Im old school and ABS really is nice but I do know how to pump breaks if needed. Maybe later see about changing up whatever is needed to get the ABS back if possible but right now I am just needing to be able to drive it again and the rear end I found had the right gears just bigger and was only $200 with 140K on it. Wrecking yard wanted $500 for one. I figured some off road people or tow people would have knowledge on a swap like this.

chromehorseii

Reaction score
I did that swap last fall. And yes, your ABS light will come on as the reluctor ring is different sizes. Be prepared, in a rig this size ABS comes in handy. But with that said, i've done close to 20000 km now on the swap without issue. And it was a bolt in, although i'm not sure which driveshaft was used. It is also a great time to replace the lower control arms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you all, I do not have it back yet but it is in and moved under its own power off the rack so the last little bit of odds and ends can be completed. It is a lot heftier rear end for sure. As for ABS, yes I am sure its nice to keep that functional and maybe there is a way to make it work but I have had Suburbans and 1 ton dually trucks that pre-dated ABS and lived through it. Not sure if the computer can be programmed to accept the new input or not.

Anyway aside from the issue of ABS it appears it was a direct fit and bolt in deal no drive line issues either. Even my calipers went on to the new larger rotors or at least they look larger. Oh yes one hiccup was that I had to buy 10 lug nuts since the old ones of mine are smaller and the new rear end had bigger studs (that last bit started sounding wrong).

I do wonder though, around here it is hard to get a 8.8 for one but I see tons of 8.8 vehicles in the yards. Could one just drop out the carrier from any 8.8 (if gear ratios are the same) and drop it in the Expedition housing?