What are the differences between a 1997 5.4L and a 2011 5.4L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the title says. What are the differences between a 1997 5.4L and a 2011 5.4L. I have the chance to buy a low mileage 5.4L from a 2011 and replace the ailing motor in my 1997 4.6L. The swap is easy enough and this motor comes minus the intake and exhaust headers. So those items I can hopefully buy from another year truck if that will make the swap easier. I'm concerned that they went to a 3v set-up on the 5.4L and I'll need to buy cam phaser lockouts for it and a ton of other one off items to make the engine work. So let me know! Thanks!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the main difference is the cam phasers. Real nightmare in my opinion and would keep me from ever buying a 3v 5.4L. But if the price is right, what the heck, it's the same block so as long as you have the correct computer to run it and a wiring harness to plug everything in, no reason it would not work.

Oh but my guess is that the flex plate/torque converter would need to be replaced and the computer retuned if you plan on using the 4 speed trans in the 97.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put the lock outs in the phasers and you'll be ok. I've seen some guys use freeze plugs to seal the holes in the valve cover. You'll probably need a tune to get the 5.4 to run it's best.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk