What a thrilling 5 second ride...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my tie rod end pooped off a few weeks ago, after hitting some bridge bumps. With very little control over the steering, at 50 mph, I was lucky to be able to pull over decently. That evening I replaced the driver side tie rod end. Today will be the passenger side unit.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, that's why in my opinion it's not a bad idea to do a self inspection on oil change day or once a month at most. I have a habit of doing a bit of a "pre trip" check before leaving every other drive, but that's just for leaks leans light and oil/coolant levels. to cover my tail end.

driving 18 wheels I have to check it all each day on my rig, takes about 30 mins to cover the whole truck.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second that Iminyourchair. There is something to be said about "securely mounted, not dry rotted and not leaking. All bolts present and tight"....

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
flashback to cdl school and my testing. except we used "cdl and pms acronyms for "not cracked damaged or leaking, properly mounted and secured," turns out I've been doing it all along with my own vehicles.

I wonder when/if this sort of thing will be required for classes D basic operators licenses in the future to prevent possible crashes from parts failures that this pre trip would have caught. it's not too difficult to learn and could easily be added into high school drivers ed.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doubt it. They are working on driverless cars for the future. It will probably take itself in for maintenance when due.