backup camera ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn 202

Reaction score
I bought an generic backup camera no wiring diagram. Can anyone tell me how to hook up in a 2004 expy EB. Kenwood head unit.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just looked thru my threads on here - for some reason I think it was a purple wire with a black tracer down in the drivers side kick panel that sends the reverse signal. Unfortunately I have been thru a few computers since I did it so I can not find my email directions. I know I found them on one of these forums. Mine was an 06, but it should be the same. depending on which kenwood head unit - it has a reverse wire that you hook in to your reverse lights signal (the wire I mentioned above) and that way it will automatically switch to cam when in reverse (there was a setting for it in my ddx514) or you can choose to turn it on when driving in case you need to check your trailer or something (or my kid used to watch people walk behind the Expy when we were sitting there waiting for Mom to finish shopping).

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a Kenwood head unit in my 2008.

For the backup camera, I have a switch on the dash (in the OEM Aux in location) that turns the camera on, and changes the display to the rear camera. I just followed the video line with a small gauge wire to power the camera.

This way I can turn the camera on and check my trailer when I'm towing. I mounted the camera just above the license plate in the chrome bezel. The camera is not a flush mount camera.

I'll try and take pictures when I have some time this coming weekend.

Last edited:

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pictures of my camera, switch location, and the head unit showing the camera's image.

Sorry for the dirty truck, but we just had a brief snowfall and the raods were recently salted.

Marc

Attachments

• exp pics 003.jpg
    exp pics 003.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 855
  • exp pics 004.jpg
    exp pics 004.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 536
  • exp pics 006.jpg
    exp pics 006.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,938
Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why the need for a switch? it should come on automatically when in reverse from you lights unless you wanted a anytime switch?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put mine on switch, there a times when a switched it on , when not backing up. Like checking the trailer when towing,

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To the OP - depending on which Kenwood head unit you have - you may not need to use a switch. My DDX-514 that is sitting in the garage right now had the ability to turn the camera on whenever you wanted via a button. I cant remember which one - but I think you held down the "nav" button and it would turn it on.

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when i did mine, you need to hook the trigger wire from the headunit to the positive wire of one of the reverse lights. video cable from camera to headunit. power and ground of camera to power and ground of camera.

or you can do it the way they have described above so you have full control of it