Custom Center Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kcallis

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Eddie Bauer edition Expedition. Since one of my hobbies includes ham radio, I have started looking for center consoles to replace the OEM console. As I thought about what I was really looking for, I realized that searching for a Jotto Desk console would not meet my needs.

I know that not only do I want to have space to fit my radios (Motorola mobiles), I thought it would be nice if I could allow my to add charger for my hand-held radios. Add to the multiple USB charging ports, and other things that come to mind.

Has anyone designed a custom build center console. I still would like to be able to have a storage area (even though I have never used the 6 disc change, I do like the space to secure things).

If anyone could be ideas of how I might be able to create one, I would be appreciative!

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you do not use your 6 disc changer why not remove it? One of the first things I did when I got my truck was to pull out the 6 disc changer and it made that part of the console HUGE inside. Not sure what kind of radios you use but from working EMS I can tell you that you can easily fit several Motorolla HT1250s standing up in the armrest console. I do get they wouldn't be freely accessable in there with the lid closed but just food for thought. Coulld even mount 2-3 chargers in the base for charging/place holding purposes.

As for USB power ports you could retro fit some into the front "wall" of the console where the little rubber insert goes and wire them for power to the power outlets near by in the dash. Under the cup holder/open storage section you have plenty of room for running wires, adapters and things like that. Again if I am completly of base of what I think you at looking for my apologies.