Interior lights stay on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texpedition

Reaction score
So, I've read the manual and there is nothing there on troubleshooting the cause of my interior lights staying on. They should go out 25 seconds after closing the door but don't go off until the 40 minutes have passed, activated by the battery saver feature. Do I have a bad sensor somewhere that is keeping the dimmer feature from working correctly?

B

bedrck46

with the engine running and the doors are closed
do you have the door ajar light on

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
almost all ford did this when they are older, just push the Dim switch all the way down til it click, it will turn off all interior light.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will the lights stay on if the main light switch is set to defeat or off?
Interior lamp relay may be stuck on. Try swapping with another or if you have a dvm or test light we can diagnose it.

blanchexpi

Reaction score
Spray all the door latches with pen fluid and work them. This should cure the issue. If they are like the rangers anyways.

OP
OP
Texpedition

Texpedition

Reaction score
I've tried WD40, turning off the dimmers, everything mentioned here. There isn't an on/off switch that I am aware of. A bad relay switch may be the most likely culprit. The running board lights turn off when the doors are closed and the map light switch no longer functions. You'd think that they'd last more than 250,000 miles but I guess they don't. At least not on Fords.

B

bedrck46

16 years and 250000 miles and you think the switch should last longer You may be right but then you may have no idea of the abuse that the switch may have gone through Consider yourself lucky I have seen brand new switches fail shortly after being installed So don't blame Fords