LED lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BakerEdition

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
LED Dash lights

Hey Thermo..Can you get the clear mini LED twist ins for the cluster panel...I would just like to see a little more light from behind my dash gauges? Thanks

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thermo how can we get the luxeon stars to work in the expys? Looked at the site and now i want.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, if you want LED lighting, let me know. You can get a bag of 100 blue LEDs for around $7 delivered to your house along with the appropriate resistors and then it is a matter of doing a little bit of soldering to make it all work. I have been doing some mods to my Jag using some 285K MCD 10MM bulbs to replace 194 bulbs. The LED bulbs are just as bright as a 194 bulb, but put out a bright white light (7000K white). But the same can be done inside the truck using whatever color you want and 5mm LEDs.

You want to be really fancy, then you can get what are called 5050 SMD LEDs. While these require a little more work (and more cost), you can have a setup that you change the color whenever you want to whatever you want (your only limitation is your imagination). I'm looking to add these to the wife's Fusion in the way of floor lighting and then have a remote control to let her change the color based on her mood.

im interested in green!!!

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Baker, to the best of my knowledge, no one makes a plug and play LED for the dash. Most of the guys have rigged up something to work in the dash. You can do some looking around and see what you can find. I'm not sure what size they are, but once you find the bulb style, you can do a search on that plus "LED" and you should get some LEDs that will fit into the factory location with no modification.

tallsville, let me ask this, where do you plan on putting the luxeon stars? From what I have seen, you will need to de-solder the star from the board it comes on and then mount it from there. But, keep in mind that a 1W luxeon star is bright as hell and the 3W ones are really impressive. A single 3W luxeon star is going to put out more light than the dome light of your truck right now. A 1W star may be the same light as the dome light. Give me some more information and then I will tell you what your best choice would be.

Ross, what is your idea? I will help you select the right size LED for what you are after. The trick with LEDs is your choices are pretty wide and it isn't as simple as going after a defined bulb and it works. If you think picking halogen bulbs is difficult, LEDs can be rather challenging. I have some 17K MCD green 5MM LEDs at my house right now. If you want to play and see what they would look like, let me know and we can make something work for you. I think I have everything here at the house to do some experiments.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i saw that they had heat sinks on them. so not sure if it will work for a dome light. but thats where i would like them. but how do you adapt to a festoon style? and also possibly under hood. to replace the really dim bulb that is there now.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tallsville, what you could do is to use some double sided tape to put the star into the opening where the bulb would be and then you could wire up the star. Please keep in mind that you will need to add a resistor in series with the star as the star is only a 3.3V piece and the electrical system of the truck is 14.4 VDC. If you want me to go into more detail, I will gladly do so.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks thermo. maybe detail later. right now just thinking.