Locked seat belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CX500D

Reaction score
Today my kid fully extended the seat belt, then wrapped it around the 3rd row drivers side headrest. The bolt on the dumb side of the seatbelt cannot be fully removed because it butts up to part of the folding mechanism of the other seat. Does anyone know how to release the "child lock ratchet?"

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You cannot pull it any farther? Even a little bit would release it I would think. Otherwise if your truck is a 97-02 you should be able to remove the headrest by using a little release button near the base of the headrest. If it is newer, not really sure if they still work that way or are locked in place.

OP
OP
C

CX500D

Reaction score
It's a 2010. Apparently he extended the belt all the way to activate the child rachet lock, then wrapped it around the headrest.

OP
OP
C

CX500D

Reaction score
Problem solved. The headrest is removed by clips under the headrest grommets. Then it retracts normally. Hopefully your kids will never do this.

OP
OP
C

CX500D

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say it's something I could have done. It's strange the things that toddlers come up with. You cannot possibly brainstorm all the potential problems they can cause.