Max A/C looses flow at acceleration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbdors

Reaction score
I have a 2003 that I will be trading in soon. Lately when on max a/c the flow from the upper registers switches to floor and defrost vents. This seems to happen at acceleration and then switches back after 30-40 seconds. I noticed that on soft acceleration it may not happen, or if I let off the gas as it starts, it may reverse sooner or not occur at all.

Any one seen this or can suggest what to check.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuume problem,look under the hood by the battery area.

OP
OP
D

Dbdors

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking, just not sure where to start. What am I looking, a hose leak. Any suggestion on locating a vacuum leak?

racereddy20

Reaction score
By the battery is where I would start

Yup,
Mine does it everyonce in a while. Initially the hard line was broken about 3" away from where it enters the firewall. I just patch it together with some rubber fittings from the help section of autozone or Oreillys. One day I'll just replace the hard line all together.

Hotdog99

Reaction score
dbDors - I am curious if that fixed your problem?

I have a similar issue but when I turn the A/C knob to the coldest setting there is a loud clicking sound in the dash. Additionally it seems like the air pressure is just not as strong as it was before. Anyone? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
D

Dbdors

Reaction score
No, I was never able to confirm the leak. I have since sold it and bought a 2011 Expi Limited.

edrivas

Reaction score
Howdy,
TL;DR: go here and read about how to fix this issue:
Ford EATC Repair - O Ring Replacement Tutorial

I had the same symptoms as the original poster:
-Tendency for the MAX AC and AC to cut over to defroster and floor under acceleration.
-Sometimes would refuse to even start blowing AC through the vents, would only do Floor/Defrost.

My vehicle:
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 4.6L but this actually applies to a huge range of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.

I had a shop diagnose my AC issues, they said it was low on freon, had a bad check valve and repaired it. They gave it back to me saying it was fixed only to have it STILL cut to defrost from AC! They diagnosed some more, check vacuum, etc, finally said it was the electronics in the head unit and wanted $400 or 500 for a USED replacement. I said nope. Limped it along.

THEN I found a link to a repair for what seems to be a common problem with Ford EATC (electronic automatic temp control, IIRC) units. There are four little solenoids inside the head unit which control the flow of vacuum through the system which are actuated by the electronics. The solenoids have a little o-ring which apparently was undersized and which eventually can become dry and brittle and prevent vacuum from sealing. As a heads up, mine required prying and bending bits of folded metal to get the solenoid plungers out. I didn't think it would function at all based on how much mangling I was doing.

But it worked! I've got solid, cold MAX AC blowing through my vents, even under heavy acceleration!

my local O'reillys had a tray of assorted o-rings with the needed 007 oring that I needed.
National O-Rings 007 - O-Ring | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Good luck!

BTW, I've read a lot of recommendations to check the vacuum lines around the battery and that is probably a good idea but this o-ring issue is apparently very common...

painoz

Reaction score
vacuum hose

Had this problem. Corrosion from my battery had ate through a vacuum hose than ran right next to it. Replaced hose.....problem fixed. Cost like $1.50.