Started my sleeping platform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to finished prep and trim work on it in the coming days. Allows for two passengers - but foldable for more.

Since I can't afford a RTT, this will have to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited:

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would recommend putting 4-6" of queen mattress foam topper(s) otherwise imo it isn't comfortable enough. It'll be more comfortable than an air mattress and you don't have to worry about leaks. Also unless you need that extra seat up for someone, I would drop it because all that room is about the size of a full size bed. Why are you using the plywood? I don't think it's healthy with the fumes it emits and it doesn't smell good.

Also a mattress topper (not foam) is awesome for added comfort.

My expedition is definitely the best car to sleep in. I'm 6'2" and it's perfect length wise and there aren't nearly as hard edges as my other cars.

What's rtt?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would recommend putting 4-6" of queen mattress foam topper(s) otherwise imo it isn't comfortable enough. It'll be more comfortable than an air mattress and you don't have to worry about leaks. Also unless you need that extra seat up for someone, I would drop it because all that room is about the size of a full size bed. Why are you using the plywood? I don't think it's healthy with the fumes it emits and it doesn't smell good.

Also a mattress topper (not foam) is awesome for added comfort.

My expedition is definitely the best car to sleep in. I'm 6'2" and it's perfect length wise and there aren't nearly as hard edges as my other cars.

What's rtt?

Thanks. No permanent padding; my pups will ride back there; I do not want them to get an idea to start chewing stuff up. I'm considering my options, though. Have to work that out.

I'm leaving space for that 2nd row seat to serve as a shelf or other good-place to put things I don't want rolling around while I sleep. I will generally travel with that down, however. I might build-in a cover. Haven't decided. My head will be towards the rear of the truck; I do not want to make more space for my feet/legs.

I use plywood because it's sturdy, cheap, and available. I am not worried about fumes; I have dressers backed with plywood; and my entire house subfloor is made of it. :) Only fumes I am concerned with are residuals from the spray adheasive and perhaps the rubber floor. Will have to figure that one out.

Thanks guys! Will update when I get signifcant progress.

RTT - Roof Top Tent :)

5.4T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you should put a screen on the glass in the back, soyou can have a breeze while keeping the bugs out :)

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you're finished I'd suggest practicing exiting the vehicle in the event of fire. It is better to have a plan in place and not need it than to be unprepared and burn. A smoke detector wouldn't hurt either.

This comes from past school bus training - the buses are fully engulfed in flames within 3-5 minutes. Watch the timer to the spread of the fire. This was an internal electrical fire, once the seats start burning then it accelerates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMR0hNkrSTg

Last edited: