USB ports, adding to an 01

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Stover

Reaction score
I needed some USB ports, and didn't want to use the cig lighter adapters. I went to ebay and found:
12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Dual USB Charger Power Adapter Outlet | eBay
I bought three of those devices. I am not endorsing that particular vendor, just used him as an example of what I'm referring to, and they're probably all the same. These are designed to replace your actual cigarette lighter.
I installed one on the center right above the pop-out ashtray. Wired it to be hot at all times. I think it's a 1 1/8" hole.
I installed the other one on the left rear panel. This panel pops out, and is the cover for the rear fan. Being lazy that day, I didn't run a hot wire to it, instead I picked up 12V on ignition at the fan. I figured the fan could spare an amp or two.
Cute thing about these is that the center piece pops out and gives you a "cigarette lighter" power outlet. So far no problems.
Photos if you need them, but you get the idea.
Remember this is in an 01. Your layout may differ.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added a similar one to my dash as well. I really like it.

A50A954E-9892-40AE-9FB9-56F6F1A8B023.jpg

I put mine on a switch so most of the time it's not drawing that tiny amount of draw with the little blue LED that always on when power is applied. The little rubber plug covers most of it but I can still see it bleeding out at night and it bothered me. The switch solves that problem for me.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used one of these in my rig. 2.1A per port so you get fast charging even with 2 devices connected.

picture.php

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman