What to use to cover chrome trim on center console??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mommy2acurlyq

Reaction score
I want to get rid of the small amount of chrome on my center console. Around the cup holders, shifter handle, trim around shifter etc. What can I use? Do I or can I take the console out to do this project?

redrebel66

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what year you have but posting a pic might help. If I was wanting to cover up some chrome trim I would probably use plasti dip.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Since it's just chromed plastic, you could give it a light sanding and paint it any color you like. It could also be dipped (hydrographics) to look like carbon fiber or any number of colors and patterns. This is just one of the many places that do it. Hydro Graphics Inc.

You may get input to the contrary, but the one thing I would NOT do to it is use plasti-dip on it. It peels off easily and I think it looks like crap.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since it's just chromed plastic, you could give it a light sanding and paint it any color you like. It could also be dipped (hydrographics) to look like carbon fiber or any number of colors and patterns. This is just one of the many places that do it. Hydro Graphics Inc.

You may get input to the contrary, but the one thing I would NOT do to it is use plasti-dip on it. It peels off easily and I think it looks like crap.

Even though most of my truck is covered in plasti-dip, I would agree with Tony in that I would not use plasti-dip inside the car. Rustoleum paint and a light sand would work fine. It all went together so it should come apart. Look for tabs, etc. that hold them down.

Plasti-dip is nice for outside the vehicle. It is not supposed to look sharp, just not chrome haha.

Last edited:

redrebel66

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I fiberglassed a volt meter in my overhead console where the compass is and the pastidip matched the factory texture quite well.