07 EB Expedition lag/hesitates under WOT with K&N CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1mpg

Reaction score
I love the sound of the k&n cai makes when I'm flooring it and I like the look of the drivers I pass on the highway when they hear me passing them but I've also notice that the truck kinda hesitates or lags a little when I'm stepping down on the gas. If I slowly press down on the gas pedal I won't really get that lag and I never got that with the stock intake box. It feels like it needs more fuel as it sucks in all that air. I'm somewhat new at this and I'm not trying to break a speed record or go crazy modding my truck as my wife is the primary driver of it. Normally I'm easy on the gas pedal and so is my wife when she drives it and you really can't tell there's a CAI in it until you step on the gas pedal. Could it be possible that I need a tuner to compensate on the air & fuel mixture from the get go?

B

bedrck46

being its the wife's EXPY why do you want to put her through all of that unless you would enjoy hearing her complain about the hesitation that wasn't there before

B

bedrck46

but if you piss her off you may want to change your location to

IN THE DOG HOUSE

OP
OP
1mpg

1mpg

Reaction score
Nice but it's "our" Expy and she's the primary driver as her work commute is a lot closer than mine. I'm not putting her thru anything as she doesn't go thru those hesitant situations. She's easy on the gas pedal and I have had her compliment the sound of the cai and so far she hasn't floored it or I would know about it when she tells me it's hesitant or that something isn't right.

B

bedrck46

ok I get it your the man in the family and wear the pants but she carries the belt that holds them up

maybe you should have her floor it and get her opinion

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing is to make sure everything is tight. I'm guessing it is since you only have the issue at WOT. Is the new MAF housing diameter the same size as the factory housing? If it isn't then you need a tune to compensate for the difference. My Spectre came with an insert to make it the same diameter as stock and I never had a hesitation. Something else is when was the last time the plugs were changed?

NMExpi

Reaction score
Not just when was the last time plugs were changed but what about fuel filter and or a tank of sea foam through the motor carbon deposits can a plugged fuel filter can also be a misleading cause of your symptom.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also try just resetting the computer to allow it to relearn the new fuel air mixture. Just unplug the battery and turn the key and plug it back in. Let it idle for 5 minutes and you're good to go

OP
OP
1mpg

1mpg

Reaction score
@bedrck46
This is a forum where auto enthusiast come and help each other's with productive solutions when posting on a thread. You have not posted anything helpful in 3 posts and are thread trolling so I would greatly appreciate it if you kept your 2 cents out of this thread.

@ 01yellerCobra & NMExpi
We bought the truck about a year ago with 80k miles on it. When we purchased it I inquired about the most recent tune up and oil change as that is all I thought it needed. I wasn't aware of the dreaded spark plug removal that these engines have and I didn't bother to ask the dealer to change them since I'm quite handy with tools and I've always done all the maintenance on my vehicles. I'm actually looking for an expirienced shop around town to do the spark plugs as I don't want to deal with the headaches of having one break upon removal. The fuel filter hasn't been changed since I've owned it so I will look into changing it and the maf housing diameter looks like the stock air box to me. I will also try running some seafoam on the gas tank.

OP
OP
1mpg

1mpg

Reaction score
I would also try just resetting the computer to allow it to relearn the new fuel air mixture. Just unplug the battery and turn the key and plug it back in. Let it idle for 5 minutes and you're good to go

I did unplug the battery when I first installed the k&n cai but I'll try doing this again when I get home today.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01