2003 EB 5.4 2WD Transmission Range Sensor location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Can anyone please advise as to where the Transmission Range Sensor is located so I can swap it out.
I have random misfire codes being thrown AFTER already replacing all eight plugs and coils.
I did have an instance where the OD light came on flashing but went away after I shut down the truck and restarted her without any residual issues or drivability difficulties aside from random misfire and audible misfire sounds from tailpipe.
It seems to cycle about every 50 or so miles, the misfire goes away, full power regained and Check Engine light goes out only to come back again in another 50 or so miles.

O'Reilly's has a lifetime warranty replacement for $50.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you want to change the Trans range sensor. Is this due to some troubleshooting you have done and found the part faulty or are you just throwing parts at the expy in the hopes of finding and solving the problem.

Post the codes that you have been getting and you will get some good help on your problems. Without knowing what codes you have it is almost impossible to offer any advice other then guessing And guessing is just like throwing parts.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
P0705, P1702 & P0708 were the codes thrown and they themselves were redundant against different cylinders on the vehicle.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The selector is located on the side of the driver side of the transmission about midway near the pan. You may also want to inspect the harness that leads to it. The selector is not user serviceable only replaceable.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Thank you Stamp. Yes, I've been rooting through forums and YouTube and also saw info that the harness at either end (but most likely the sensor end) can corrode, especially if the vehicle came from the East Coast and mine was originally purchased in Maryland so it's a possibility with mine.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Below information was copied from the 2003 service manual

P0702
Transmission Control System Electrical

P1702 Digital TR Intermittent DTC codes P0705 or P0708 Refer to DTC codes P0705 or P0708 condition. Refer to DTC codes P0705 or P0708 symptom. Go To Pinpoint Test C .

P0705
Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction

P0705 Digital TR Digital TR circuit failure Digital TR circuits, indicating an invalid pattern in TR_D. Condition caused by a short to ground or an open in TR4, TR3A, TR2, and or TR1 circuits. This DTC cannot be set by an incorrectly adjusted digital TR sensor. Increase in EPC pressure (harsh shifts). Defaults to (D) or D for all gear positions. In (D) position trans, stuck in D or manual 2. Go To Pinpoint Test C .

P0708
Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High

P0708 Digital TR Digital TR sensor circuit TR3A open Digital TR sensor circuit TR3A reading 2.6v - 5.0v (open circuit). This DTC cannot be set by an incorrectly adjusted digital TR sensor. Increase in EPC pressure. Defaults to (D)or D for all gear ranges. Go To Pinpoint Test C .

Before replacing the Range Sensor You should correct any problems with the wiring.
Just replacing the Range Sensor may not and most likely will not solve the problem if there is problems in the wiring.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Bedrck47, thank you.

Roger that. I will check the wiring first before install of the sensor.