5.4 Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got an 10 XLT Expo has the 5.4l what are some basic upgrades y'all have done? I'm looking for some more mpgs out of this bad boy, it is my wife's so exhaust mods are not happening.

I had looked at doing a CAI, tuner, and possibly a chip. Anyone have any recommend brands? I've read and heard that the SCT brand is a Ford based brand so I was thinking of that for a tuner.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no chip exists for them...u can get a tuner programmed by one of our vendors here specifically for what you want and you could do an exhaust...they make quiet performance mufflers so dont rule that out...flowmaster makes diff series and have a quiet series without neglecting performance...put some 22's on it for her...it wont look to gotti/street while giving it a nice appearance...tint the windows...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change headlights...LED tail lights...thats about it since its your wife's truck

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I think there just regular halogen lights so I was considering HIDs on it, we did say tint, no rims she likes stock for the most part. I would put rims cause I think it does improve the look of a truck.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CAI will make the truck noticeably louder when accelerating. I have the K&N CAI and I don't mind the sound. My wife still comments about it after 3+ years. Replacing the existing filter with something like the K&N will get you a little improvement without the sound. Also look into the gotts mod. I have the Superchips Cortex and it make a noticeable improvement in power even on the 87 octane tune. Just remember to load the stock tune when you take the truck to the dealer for service.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay might have to look into that option then, I mean as long it doesn't sound like it's screaming that's fine I don't think she'll mind. Could it depend on CAI on the noise level or is it probably just the CAI upgrade makes it louder regardless?

The only time the truck will see a dealer is for drivetrain issues other than that my cousin is a mechanic or I'll fix it myself.

Not trying to come off arrogant but I've seen what the dealer charges and that's a tough price to swallow if there's no warranty to cover it of course.