ABS Speed Sensor Overkill??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So when I had my ball joints put in the mechanic ripped out the front left abs wheel sensor.

I let it go for almost a month now because he said he would replace it. So I've been driving quite a bit of mileage without ABS.

Now the breaks are making that noise. ( You know, when ya come to a stop squeal.)

Before I bought the truck, the owner told me that they were brand new brakes.

Could driving without ABS wear down the brake pads that quick?

Also is driving without proper alignment really bad for my new tires?

Any help & info would be greatly appreciated.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Visually check them. If you have plenty pad material/rotor left, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you just need to take off the pads and spray some more brake-quiet spray on the backs of the pads.

Still, though, I'd get that sensor fixed. I'd imagine it might be helpful if you were to require the use of the ABS.

As far as the alignment, it depends on how bad out you are. If it's pretty bad to where it's wearing the inside/outside only, or cupping your tire, it'll "eat them up" faster. Plus, most tire places won't warranty them. Also, I'd think that it can't be that good for gas mileage.

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So when I had my ball joints put in the mechanic ripped out the front left abs wheel sensor.

I let it go for almost a month now because he said he would replace it. So I've been driving quite a bit of mileage without ABS.

Now the breaks are making that noise. ( You know, when ya come to a stop squeal.)

Before I bought the truck, the owner told me that they were brand new brakes.

Could driving without ABS wear down the brake pads that quick?

Also is driving without proper alignment really bad for my new tires?

Any help & info would be greatly appreciated.

Driving without ABS should not cause the pads to wear quicker.

As for the tire....Yes and No. Any time the Alignment is off, it can/will wear tires. How far is it off is the question? There is no way to know specifically until the vehicle is put on the Alignment Machine and the Angles are read.

Oh yeah! As for the ABS thingy! Make the shop fix it if they broke it.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
new brakes can mean alot of things... did they just put new pads on and not turn the rotors your almost certain to get a squeal from that... or maybe they used cheap organic pads... they will wear really fast on a rig this heavy

but the abs sensor reads a ring that is on the axel it doesn't even touch the rotor so if that was a problem it would be all the time

OP
OP
Explor2Exped

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nitrostangracing the people that broke it don't have a shop. They are a mobile auto repair, they come to you. I call him every day & it's one excuse after another..

Is there a cheaper place to buy the ABS cable? I've priced it at all the auto stores & Autozone has it cheapest at 49.99

For some reason the front left cable cost more than the front right..

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hit Josh up at Tasca and see what kind of deal he can get you. As for alignment. It is recommended to get an alignment after redoing ball joints. If your alignment is bad, it will eat new tires bad, and rotating your tires is another big thing to do to get more life out of your tires.

For the brakes, I threw new pads on last summer, and I get a squeak every now and then. I'm sure most of it is because I didn't machine my rotors. I'm planning on getting ceramic discs and pads this summer though. For the ABS system, that shouldn't be giving you any problems. During the winter, I've unplugged one of the speed sensor plugs to disable the system, and its worked fine. I've found that on icy roads, I can pretty much slam on the brakes and stop with the ABS off, but when the ABS is on, I can't stop worth :poop:

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nitrostangracing the people that broke it don't have a shop. They are a mobile auto repair, they come to you. I call him every day & it's one excuse after another..

Is there a cheaper place to buy the ABS cable? I've priced it at all the auto stores & Autozone has it cheapest at 49.99

For some reason the front left cable cost more than the front right..

That sucks. That is stuff that bothers me about mobile places.

As for the cable, What is the year of the truck and is it 4X4? I will see what I can possibly do.

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the alignment readout from when I had just the basic done.

expy.jpg

Based on this printout, your Alignment is still off.

The Left Front Tire has excessive Negative Camber. That indicates that the top of the tire is leaning in too far. That will cause the inner edge to wear excessively and also push the truck to the right. As for the Caster on The Passenger side. Caster on the Passenger side should always be up to 1/2 degree higher than the right side. This is done to allow the R/F wheel to be a little further forward than the L/F. For area that the roads have a crown to the right this offsets it.

Looking at the numbers I am looking at, your truck should be going to the Right!

OP
OP
Explor2Exped

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hit Josh up at Tasca and see what kind of deal he can get you. As for alignment. It is recommended to get an alignment after redoing ball joints. If your alignment is bad, it will eat new tires bad, and rotating your tires is another big thing to do to get more life out of your tires.

For the brakes, I threw new pads on last summer, and I get a squeak every now and then. I'm sure most of it is because I didn't machine my rotors. I'm planning on getting ceramic discs and pads this summer though. For the ABS system, that shouldn't be giving you any problems. During the winter, I've unplugged one of the speed sensor plugs to disable the system, and its worked fine. I've found that on icy roads, I can pretty much slam on the brakes and stop with the ABS off, but when the ABS is on, I can't stop worth :poop:

So the ABS cable isn't completely necessary? We hardly get icy road here in TN, mainly sunny weather.

Should I replace my brake pads since they are making that noise? They have been working fine & I stop pretty good. Sometimes it feels like I have air in the brakes though.... Makes that huffing type noise, ya know? :shrug:

I wish I could stop spending all my money on repairs and start modding. :sad72: