can anything be done to better the fuel milage on my 3rd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limited'08

Reaction score
I'm driving back on stock aluminum 20s with 33" mud tires and am only getting 12 mpgs. What can i do to better this? I was thinking about going to 35s but only if i can better the gas milage. Any suggestions?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
programmer...change the speedo sensor and it adjusts the ecu to adjust to wheels...add exhaust...gotts mod or CAI...eletric fan setup...pulleys (maybe)...drive with light foot especially on take-offs

OP
OP
L

Limited'08

Reaction score
Can i start with a programmer alone and see results? I was told that programmers don't provide a lot of bells and whistles but then again i don't believe everything i hear.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You bought a 6000 lb suv. This is what you are to expect , now make sure the tires are inflated right ,the engine is tuned up properly , the oil is 5w-20 ,air filter is clean .. maintenance is the key to good MPG

OP
OP
L

Limited'08

Reaction score
Yep, got all that covered already. Tires inflated to 40 psi, fresh tune up, air filter and Royal Purple 5w-20. I've been thinking about going to 5w-30 next oil change though to possibly quiet the engine a little though. I realize that i own a 6k beast and i like it a lot. I was just trying to see if i can better my gas milage with bigger tires. I really don't want to go back to stock tires just to regain my lost MPGs.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mud tires have a lot of rolling resistance. I noticed a small drop when I went from the OE tires to A/Ts.

OP
OP
L

Limited'08

Reaction score
I'm getting 12 all around. Funny thing is that i used to get 1-2 more MPGs on my aftermarket 20s with the same tires. I had 20x10s on the same 33s.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can i start with a programmer alone and see results? I was told that programmers don't provide a lot of bells and whistles but then again i don't believe everything i hear.

yes depending on the setting...i have superchips cortex 1950 on gas saver setting and it is a nice difference...everything else adds to it...programmer is the biggest bang for your dollars spent...check 5startuning in the vender section and they can do custom tunes for what u want vs. my canned tuned...so u should see more than me hopefully