Cut off exhuast pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahilten

Reaction score
I recently got a flowmaster 40 muffler thinking I was putting in the entire flowmaster system. The sound is great but Its not as loud as the engine so it didnt get the effect I wanted. My friend suggested to get cut off the tail pipe and weld a down pipe to the muffler. Will it be louder? And does it cause any problems? Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will get a slight change in sound but not substantial. If you do cut the pipe, keep in mind the exhaust gases are now collecting under the floor pan and can/will enter the interior. If it is bad enough we will read about you in the news.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped from a Flowmaster 40 with a downpipe to a 3" tailpipe. Got MUCH louder.
The Flowmaster by itself had a good rumble, but not very loud. My only gripe about the 3" tailpipe is it now has a little bit of drone at highway speeds. Not a loud annoying drone, but you can still hear it.
All in all, I prefer the 3" tailpipe/flowmaster 40 over the downpipe.

Edit: Here's a pic of the muffler and downpipe

fm40.jpg

Last edited:

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the same as yudaman. I went to auto zone and got a 3"turn down for 8$ and clamped it on.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The turn down worked just fine. I just didn't like having the exhaust gasses under the rig.
I never had any issues with exhaust getting into the cab, but all it takes is once to cause serious issues. Besides, I really didn't want to risk getting my kids sick in the back seat.
I went to a local exhaust shop and he installed a mandrel bent 3" tailpipe for $100. Gave it a little more sound, got the exhaust out the back, and I have noticed no difference in performance or mileage.