Edelbrock E-force 1583 on '05 5.4L 3V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pohoda

Reaction score
With the disappointing lineup of new SUVs for towing an 8000lb trailer and their high prices I am again revisiting just boosting the Expy to make it a better all around towing vehicle (especially on the long grades). The E-force seems to be the only true DIY bolt-on solutions available anymore, but they are only for 2007-2011 Expys. I called Edelbrock today and they basically told me that they are pretty sure it will all fit, but that the issue would be the tune. I e-mailed JDM and they said they can provide me a custom tune file for the SCT or I could also just take it to a local shop and have it dyno tuned.

Is there anyone on the forums here that has installed the E-force on their '05 (or even '06)? I have searched the forums and have yet to find anyone. I would appreciate anyone provided direct feedback about getting an '05 S/C'd without going to some extremely custom setup.

Thanks,

Paul

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dude Edelbrock told you that. I was told by Carid that it would not fit. HUMMM! I am so calling Edelbrock tomorrow morning! I want the E-Force!!!!!

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
I spoke with a person named Eddie. He did not flat out say it fits, but said that since it does work with the 04-08 F-150 5.4L 3V that it is very likely it was just the tune that was not compatible. I know that the Expy does have a different tune compared with the F-150 and I know the ECU did change in the later models as well. In reading through the instruction manual for the 1583 model it isn't 100% clear what fitment issues might crop up, but from what I can tell all of the main mechanical parts are the same on the '07-11 Expy. I would think if there were fitment issues it would be with the piping or maybe with the mounting of the intercooler. Hopefully someone on the forums here that has installed one of these on either the '05 or '06 will chime in.

-Paul

Last edited:

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully cause the horse power it states that it produces is AMAZING!!! I would so buy that in a HEARTBEAT OF TEXAS!!!! going to look into it on Wednesday. Thank you for the heads up!!!

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used a FORD ROUSH supercharger on a 2009 5.4l Navigator for a customer back in 2012. he bought the blower and manifold used I think he had #32 or #42 lbs injectors its been awhile since I done this vehicle.
the 5.4l there was no fitment issues.
everything seemed to work fine. I don't deal with hand held tuners especially from SCT. all tuning is done VIA computer on a ford strategy download.
of course if you do go with a supercharger you will have to tune the PCM im sure you already knew that.

just to throw this in here I pulled the 5.4 out of my 2010 navigator (personal vehicle) and grabbed a big bore 5.4l aluminum block from MMR factory cams a bigger Throttle body and slight head porting at the crank it made 382@5500 and 421lbs ft @3300
I know what you mean about a lack of power the ford V8s never had much power in their SUVs or Trucks even with this new 5.0 the power is way up there in the RPMs
the eco boost navigator that just came out isn't that impressive.
the 2003-2014 SUV and F150 share the same firewalls you shouldn't have much of a problem with a kit used for an F150 or go with a centrifugal kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply American Steel. I too looked into building an engine, but I just don't see how I can get the torque at lower RPMs comparable to the S/C setup. My biggest issue when towing is not having enough torque unless I am winding our the engine at near redline. It would be cool if I could cruise up grades fully loaded in 2nd or 3rd at around 3500 RPMs. I know that the tranny and rear end will need to be beefed up, but I figure I will just drive it until they go and then rebuild them to be stronger. When you did the tune did you dyno tune? What benefits does the Ford Strategy tuner give over the the handhelds like the SCT? I have only ever used HPTuners on my GM vehicles and found that to be an excellent tuner.

-Paul

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply American Steel. I too looked into building an engine, but I just don't see how I can get the torque at lower RPMs comparable to the S/C setup. My biggest issue when towing is not having enough torque unless I am winding our the engine at near redline. It would be cool if I could cruise up grades fully loaded in 2nd or 3rd at around 3500 RPMs. I know that the tranny and rear end will need to be beefed up, but I figure I will just drive it until they go and then rebuild them to be stronger. When you did the tune did you dyno tune? What benefits does the Ford Strategy tuner give over the the handhelds like the SCT? I have only ever used HPTuners on my GM vehicles and found that to be an excellent tuner.

-Paul
adding boost to an engine does not effect RPM ranges, that is entirely up to the stroke and intake duration.
your 5.4l makes peak torque at 3400RPM if Im correct honestly if you want more torque for your pulling I would seriously look into a used or new turbo with about 5 pounds of boost. this will also increase fuel economy but not by much!
this should net you 440lbs Ft at stock RPM.
I don't like using hand held tuners for gasoline engines.
I like the ford strategy computer software because I can look at every single strategy mapping etc etc.
same thing goes for GM and Chrysler when I do EFI engines. I build high performance engines and a lot of my business comes through swaps and I build 1900-1980 cars most of my engines are EFI. I also refrain from using aftermarket EFI kits I like to stick with brand systems. more reliable for my customers.
race cars are different.
example if some one wanted to swap their 5.0 or a 6.2l V8 into a galaxie or mustang from the 60s I use a ford control pack.

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
I am referring to the increase in torque at lower RPMs with a supercharger. In the case of the Edelbrock E-force they show peak torque being reached at around 3750RPM and the torque curve is quite flat. Maybe I am thinking about this wrong, but I would think that with 500ft/lbs of torque at 3500RPMS I should be in much better shape on most grades.

1583.jpg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how steep are the hills/mountains you'll be on and what is the heaviest load you'll be pulling?

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
There are a couple that are like 10-15% grades IIRC that go for a couple miles. I am pulling a 7500lb 23' Weekend Warrior (fully loaded).