Exhaust manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the 5.4s have had issues with the manifolds leaking and I am thinking this may be my problem.

My Expedition is an '02 5.4L with the 2v PI heads. I am hearing kind of a clicking type sound from the driver side fender well and from underneath the vehicle but if I pop the hood I don't hear it from up top... All I hear up top is the injectors and fan noise. When I rebuilt the motor I did not take the manifolds off the heads. I just cleaned up the heads and made sure the surface was flat and not warped because the motor ran great aside from rod bearing that went bad.

If it is a leaky manifold or manifold gasket how serious is that on one of these motors? Can I let it go for a while because the rebuild kind of took a lot of cash out of my wallet.

B

bedrck46

I have a 01 EB with the 5.4 and the passenger side exhaust manifold has been leaking for the past 8000 miles Other than the noise it hasn't affected driving.

If you not sure where its leaking take some baby powder and when the engine is running spray some around the exhaust manifold wear safety glasses and you will see where the leak is or take a cigarette and holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers place it around the exhaust and again you will se where its leaking

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure it's not cracked, I had that problem on mine, drivers side cracked in half.

I drove like that for months, with no issues. Then put on headers Big PIA!!!

Look around to see if it's cracked or if you see black marks( exhaust staining) then you'll know for sure, if that's the problem.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand correctly:
1) You rebuilt the motor
2) Master rebuild kits should come with a complete gasket set
3) You chose not to replace the exhaust gaskets

If so, NO SOUP FOR YOU.....

B

bedrck46

yes he did and I was polite Just suggested he look at the thread about signature..

If there is no sig. then it may be a good idea to suggest hopefully that may get the word out

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will get the Sig done lol... And I didnt buy the master rebuild kit. I ordered some stuff here and some there... saved a little money that way. But I was surprised that Ford didnt rape me on the rod that I had to replace but the did on all the bolts... I have about 3k miles now on the motor and running great other than this.

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize that this would have been much easier done before the motor went back in, BUT is it even possible to replace the gaskets/studs without having to pull a bunch of off and out?