Help another poor soul ensure it is a head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Expedition with a 5.4. 163k miles. I bought it at 116k for $650 because the previous owner was tired paying the dealer to replace spark plugs and coil packs from water getting down in the plug wells. Anyway, to the present. My water suddenly disappeared on a recent trip and I got a #1 misfire code and it started missing a little bit. I opened it up and pulled the spark plug. It was wet. I put a scope down into the cylinder and there is 1-2 Tbsp of water in the cylinder with a bunch of gunk in it (see picture). I should have an exhaust gas tester for the anti-freeze next week but is there any chance it is failed intake manifold seals? I have checked the oil and there is no water in it. I had to drive it about 400 miles after the initial problem. It ran fine minus the occasional miss and the need to add water.

Am I holding onto false hope?

Stephen

Attachments

• water.gif
    water.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I second the head gasket failure. It is recommended you do it ASAP cause water causes rust and it can slip into spaces oil can't and soon or later a hydro lock will happen, at that point forget the head gasket, you'll need a new short block.

OP
OP
S

Stephen

Reaction score
The rig hasn't been driven since getting it home. Its parked in the garage and the bumper cover, bumper and air components up to the TB are already off. Picked up an engine hoist and stand and the shop manuals arrived today. Going to start into it this week.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you pulled this motor yet? Just got done doing an engine swap so I can provide all kinds of tips on removal etc :) It is also possible that its the intake manifold being cracked. The only way I could confirm that mine was actually blown was doing a leakdown test on the cylinder. Of course when doing that I could see bubbles in the coolant tank. Ironically I found out that someone had already put a Dorman intake on it. HOwever they used RTV on the water seals...

Last edited: