need help no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hooksnhorns07

Reaction score
Okay so new to this site but I have a 98 expy 5.4 4wd Eddie Bauer I have CAI, cat deletes, flowmater duals and edge evo ht programmer running 91 octane. Had had complete tune up including coils plugs oil change o2 sensors.

My question is that it don't seam to have the power it should and help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks in advanced

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have performance figures of before and after the mods, you end up relying on the seat of your pants measurement. What you think you should get and what you end up with are drastically different.

If the cai is not separated from the engine heat it really is a hai (hot air intake) and basically useless.

Remember these are boats and will take serious mods to bring a real smile to your face. Check out toms89 expy with the blower. I think he was running in the 12's in the 1/4 mile. Has a fantastic sound to it as the blower is winding up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbPFfT1JARs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH5ksJBY5jw

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hooksnhorns07

Reaction score
When I got it it was compley stock and since I have added all that was listed and still seems like it hasn't gains anything. I'm wanting a little more to help pull 16 foot car trailer not nothing street/strpi

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check what your gear ratio is in the rear end for starters. For pulling you should interested in torque more than hp and the torque curve. Are you turning off overdrive while towing?
What is the gvw when towing?

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time you are loaded you can go to a truck stop and get weighed. Shoudn't be more than $15 today. Usually the price includes the first and second weighs, if more are needed then the cost will increase.
Or you can just add the weight of everything and get a ballpark figure. Once you know your gvw then you can realize what to expect from the mods.

OP
OP
H

hooksnhorns07

Reaction score
It ain't that its lacking power when towing it seems like its lacking power all together especially when its in overdrive. On a very slight slope in over drive I lose speed and have to down shift

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Removing the cats may have contributed to low end torque loss. Not sure how pick these engines are on backpressure. You also have non-pi heads.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The flowmaster duals are probably hurting your low end the most. What you want is exhaust velocity. Getting rid of the cats helped with that, but now the exhaust flows through double the volume of pipe through the dual exhaust (3 inch pipe?) Your setup might make more top end power, but you'll notice that less.

I've got a 98 with 3.73s. I regularly haul a 12ft cargo trailer that weighs at least 3000lbs. Honestly, I sometimes forget is back there. I tow in overdrive. It turns 2k rpms at around 60mph. Plenty of torque there. My expy is bone stock other than borla muffler and 2.5 in single exit tailpipe. 200k miles. Until yesterday, it had spark plugs with 100k miles on them.

OP
OP
H

hooksnhorns07

Reaction score
It has single to the muffler to a single in dual out muffler even before I out duals on it it still lacked power with the same muffler single in single out