No Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbrow129

Reaction score
We have a 1999 expedition eddie bauer edition that we just purchsed 2 months ago. The truck has been running without any issues an then all of a sudden the other night on the way home there was no acceleration after 30 mph. When my husband did push on the gas pedal it would sometimes backfire and spit and sputter and sound like it wanted to go but sadly it wouldn't. My husband has changed the plugs and coils but we aren't sure what to do next or if this is a known issue with this truck. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

All of today's engines are computer controlled, when there is an issue the computer will throw a code into memory and illuminate the CEL(check engine light). If there isn't a code/light on the dash run the engine long enough for one to be entered into memory. Then have the code read at a local auto parts store. Most will read them for free.

bnicov

Reaction score
I would check out the catalytic convertor. If it is plugged, it won't necessarily set off a check engine code.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two things he can do. 1 hook up a fuel pressure guage to see if your getting fuel up to injectors. 2 if you have a plugged catalytic convertor, and you have access to a hand held temperature guage he can check temperature at front of each cat, and at rear of cat. Temperature will be drastically different if plugged. Is power loss worse when hot. Also go by a local shop and have them plug into data port to see if their are any stored computer codes, as Stamp said in other thread. Good luck keep us posted with progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk