Phasers, chains, tensioners and such

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting ready to tackle the all to common 5.4 cam phaser, timing chain & tensioner replacement project on my 05 Expy. While I'm in there I will be upgrading the oil pump with the Mellings M340. I know that I technically can do this without dropping the oil pan. However the pickup to pump bolts look to be in a real bear of a spot. I'm likely to drop the bolts into the pan anyway. Has anyone on here successfully dropped their oil pan with the motor in the truck? I saw a youtube video of it being done on a 1st Gen 4wd (2002 I think). I am hoping that it is just that easy on the gen 2 trucks. I only have 96,000 on the odometer but I plan on holding on to this one for a while. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom! Thanks

OP
OP
Boose

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Nobody's attempted this?

Has anyone changed the oil pump on a 3V with the motor in the truck and pan on?

BrandonB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its anything like the 4.6 2wd the oil pan can be dropped but not removed with the engine in. You have to unhook the motor mounts and lift the engine a few inches to remove the pan.

OP
OP
Boose

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
For anyone who is interested, the oil pump was changed without having to drop the pan. :waytogo:

longgone07

Reaction score
did this fix the noise mine needs done but I only have the noise no other issues

OP
OP
Boose

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Mine was pretty quiet at cold start up. After a 5 mile trip fully warmed up at idle she sounded like a diesel. I replaced the oil pump, phasers, tensioners guides, chains, water pump & Power steering pump (as it was leaking). Now at hot idle the only noise I hear are the injectors which are fairly loud on these motors. If your followers or lash adjusters are worn, this would be the time to do the job. Mine were pretty quiet, but the new Mellings oil pump in combination with the good seal on the new tensioners increased oil pressure noticeably on the gauge. The tensionsers are really the culprit with these motors. The o ring gasket blows out causing significant pressure loss up stream. The phasers on mine probably could have been saved with the new pump & tensionsers but you don't want to do this job twice. Please feel free to PM me or post here for any tips.

OP
OP
Boose

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The oil pump is located at the front of the block driven off of the snout of the crank. When the timing cover is removed, the bolts mounting the pump to the block are easily accessible. The 2 bolts that mount toe pickup to the pump are challenging though. You can access the passenger side one fairly easy, the opposite is tilted down slightly. You need to use a ratcheting box end wrench and then your 2 pointer fingers 1 flat at a time... tedious, but definitely quicker than dropping the pan.

B

bedrck46

Thanks for the reply reason being the procedures listed are many depending on year, engine, if 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. The reply about a 4.6 wouldn't apply to you as yours is a 05 with 5.4

longgone07

Reaction score
mine carries good pressure the only thing I have is noise its very annoying don't really want to do it because it runs so good