Terrible knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

killjoyexpe

Reaction score
I have a 1999 ford expedition 5.4 trition 4x4. It has a terrible Knocking noise coming from the passanger side of the motor. this is the second engine in the truck and im worries that its the crankshaft. But i have been told it is the timing chain so im in process of changing the chain and the guides out but im not sure if its gonna fix it any suggestions ???

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would really depend on what the knock sounds like. If it is true rod knock then the motor is probably already toast... how many miles on the new motor? Change the oil regularly? Is the oil pressure gauge reading anything.

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine had a rod knocking when I bought it. You can rebuild the motor yourself for a lot cheaper than buying a used one, that is if the block is not damaged.. Especially in my area. I had all the parts for my rebuild for about $900 and a used motor with about 140k miles on it was gonna run me about $1500.

These motors are really not that hard to rebuild IMO. I have a new crank, bearings, oil pump, gaskets/seals, one new connecting rod, new piston rings, rehoned cylinders, of course all new rod/bearing cap/head bolts, new timing components. I guess that's the major stuff.

My local mechanic told me that he believes that most of the time people have oil pressure issues due to people running too thick of oil and oil pumps are too weak.

What does the oil look like?

OP
OP
K

killjoyexpe

Reaction score
It would really depend on what the knock sounds like. If it is true rod knock then the motor is probably already toast... how many miles on the new motor? Change the oil regularly? Is the oil pressure gauge reading anything.

The oil pressure gauge is reading fine i just got the few bolts left to take off the cover for the timing chain

OP
OP
K

killjoyexpe

Reaction score
and im not sure about how many miles are on it odo doesnt work but i know the truck it self has over 300,000 on it