Tune Up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i was wondering if someone can give me some advice.....i need a tune up and wondering if anyone recomends a certain brand or something...i dont minf paying......i could tell my truck needs it....thanks....

Joey
1998 Expo

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow...you have left a lot to answer!!!

First, why don't you tell us what has been/what you normally do on a regular basis, i.e. oil changes, tranny flushes, coolant flushes, etc.

The days of the regular "tune up" are long gone, and the spark plugs in the Expy are good for 100K (or so).

I guess what I am saying is that if you are asking this now on a 1998 Expy, I am a little worried at what has not been done up to this point.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
LOL...sorry that I left a lot out.....i do oil changes about every 2500 - 3000 miles.....i havent drained the tranny fluid or coolant but I also want to do that when I do my tune up.....i have about 78K but thought the tune up can help a little.....i just want to be on the safe side.....THANKS FOR YOU HELP.......

Joey
1998 Expo

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you intend to have the spark plugs changed, an expensive and labor-intensive procedure on these models, I strongly recommend that you stick with the factory Motorcraft plugs. Triton engines are finicky about their plugs, and more than a few Expy owners have used other brands, experienced misfires and other drivability issues, and had to go back to the factory plugs.

Tibiko

Reaction score
I changed the plugs on my 1997/5.4 at 150K.
Did it with a friend, something like a 3-hour job, it is tedious but can be done with the proper tools.
I could not get original Motocraft in time, so I used Champion.
So far so good

whitehat

Reaction score
We just tuned up our 97 at 110,000 and used all Motorcraft parts and also drained the transfer case, front/rear differential and transmission service. Since we turned over 75,000 miles we have used Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 oil and are EXTREMELY pleased with it. On 115,000 miles now, it still does not use any oil and does not smoke when you start it. I recommend using all Motorcraft and having someone help you that does know what they are doing. We plan to change the ignition coil packs within the next 5000 miles. Wife says this Expo has to last me a long time!!!!!!

coryrhonda

Reaction score
the coil packs should last well over 200,000 miles as long as they don't have to work hard. when the plugs get worn the gap opens (between about 90,000-110,000 miles) and the coils have to put out a higher voltage to jump the gap, and if the coil boots are a little weak the path of least resistance may be through the coil boots on a humid day and once they arc through a small hole is made and the boot is shot. Recomend changing the boots with every plug change, they are cheap and both Ford and after market are making them now.