2004 Expy Sound System Upgrade - Where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade from the stock system in my '04 expy. I have the basic head unit with single cd/cassette. I want to switch out the door speakers and add an amp and subwoofer, also a touch screen head unit eventually. I've never upgraded a car sound system and really I don't even know where to start. Would I be able to upgrade the speakers and install an amp and sub while still using the stock head unit? If so, would I then be able to upgrade the head unit later on - compatibility wise? Mainly I'm wondering what to buy and what other guys have used and been happy with. I checked out Crutchfield but I don't know which speakers would be compatible with the stock head unit or if they would bolt up directly in the door etc. Any input would be appreciated

Austin

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes you can still have the factory stereo and add an amp/sub...i did...just need rca converter for the signal to amp...plug rca's from amp to converter and run the other wires for amp as u normally would...sub wires to amp...remote wire from amp to fuse box..and turn it on...

now...since u want a touchscreen head unit...you already went to crutchfield.com...so this is what you have to do...decide what you want out of your head unit...do u want bluetooth...navigation...dvd capability...pandora...and so on...

next...for your door speakers...do you simply want to replace them or do you also want to amplify them as well...make them louder...that will be based on how many subs you plan an adding...if you just want a little bass with 1 sub u prob wont need to...

so go back to crutchfield.com and "outfit your car"...but in the required information and it will show you what fits in your truck for head units and door speakers...there isnt a certain brand to buy...all based on your budget...when you buy from crutchfield you will get install sheets of how to removed and install everything...the head unit will come with its own instructions...and because you bought from crutchfield...you have LIFETIME SUPPORT as long as you own the equipment...so if you get stuck with the install...you can call them and they will walk you through the install...

you get the correct harness adapter for free and whatever else...

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I went back to crutchfield and found these - Pioneer TS-G6844R
6"x8" 2-way car speakers. When I used "Outfit My Car" Crutchfield says there are no aftermarket subs that will fit. If this is the case, should I be looking for a sub box and sub to install separately? Or is there a way to fit an aftermarket sub where the existing one is.

I don't really need the door speakers to be louder, but I do want a single sub, how will I know if it needs to be amplified?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jl audio makes what is called a stealthbox...it will have a 8 or 10 inch sub in it and you local jl audio dealer should have them...or you can get a custom box built in that location...or you can swap the sub out that is currently in there with an aftermarket sub...I prefer to have an external sub...but its depends on how u use ur truck...all I do is carry people and luggage...so I have a 18" sub in mine...before that it was 2-12s...when I get my navigator I will be taking out the 3rd row and putting 2-18s in it...nice amp rack and batteries taking up the entire back

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to having a separate sub box, if I were to go that route then would the stock sub still work? And I would definitely need an amp to power both right?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the factory sub will still work...it already has a small amp on it...only about 50 watts...so u can unplug that...yes...the sub in a separate box will need to have an amp to it for the bass...just swapping the door speakers wil be a huge improvement...good luck