How To: Kenwood DNX-5140 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought I would do a write-up of my Kenwood DNX-5140 install on my 2006 EB I just completed. This may help some of you that want to retain factory overhead DVD player, keep the factory subwoofer, and those that just need a basic how-to. It's a bit long, but detailed enough for you to do it.

My main install goal was to retain the use of the factory overhead DVD player, but have it show the picture off the Kenwood’s DVD screen. Some of you may know that these overhead DVD players do not have your basic hookups, and it is a pain to find the wiring diagrams for the unit.

Without further ado, here is the install.

First off you have to remove the dash bezel. There are 2 7mm screws that have to be removed above the instrument cluster. Once those are removed, tilt the steering wheel all the way down, and put the gear lever all the way down to “1” to make room to remove the bezel. Carefully start prying with your fingers from the top of the bezel, working your way around and down removing the clips. You will have to unplug all electrical connections to completely remove the bezel. Here are picture of the bezel removed so you have some idea of where the clips and connections are.

DSCN1605.jpg
DSCN1604.jpg

Once the dash bezel is removed, remove the 2 7mm screws from the bottom of the stock radio and slide it out, unplugging the harness in the process. The harness consists of 3 plugs. The large one is for the main radio power and speakers. The small one is for the subwoofer. The middle size if for the overhead DVD player.

DSCN1603.jpg

I purchased a Scosche FDK11B wiring harness that came with a main and subwoofer harness adapters. Using crimp connectors, I connected the main harness to the Kenwood’s harness. All the Kenwood color coded wires were correct on the Scosche harness, so there was no guess work in the connections.

DSCN1611.jpg

The subwoofer connections are fairly straight-forward, but required a bit more work. The color coded wires are a match. The Blue/white power leads from the Scosche subwoofer harness have to be twisted together, and then connected to the blue/white lead off the Kenwood’s harness. However, I needed to install a 1500 ohm resistor between the Kenwood and Scosche wires to prevent the subwoofer from popping on startup. (A crimp connector worked well here as I was able to “hide” the resistor in the plastic covering of the 2 connectors.) Then the RCA connectors get plugged into the subwoofer out jacks on the back of the head unit.

DSCN1608.jpg

Running the antennae for the Garmin GPS was pretty simple. With the radio still out, I removed the passenger side access cover on the dash by the windshield, and fed the antennae wire down between the windshield and dash to the access point, then down to the head unit from there. I mounted the antennae next to the red blinking light, and tucked the wire down between the dash and glass.

DSCN1613.jpg
DSCN1612.jpg

If you were not connecting the overhead DVD player, you are done. Just install the new unit back into the dash, and reverse the steps to reinstall the bezel. Be careful here as the bezel is a tight fit going back on around the steering column and radio at the same time.

Since I wanted the overhead DVD player still to function, I had a few more steps. You can go one of two ways here. First is to buy the PIE FRD03-DVD harness that plugs into the DVD radio harness. It has power and ground leads, and audio RCA plugs that go into the head unit’s AUX in ports. This works only if you have the Audio IN ports on your radio (obviously), and you want the DVD player to perform like it was from the factory….ie audio over the car speakers. I did not have the RCA ports, nor did I want the player to be like that from the factory.

If you want the Overhead DVD to have the same picture as the new head unit, you need to find a way to get the signal from the head unit to the player. Since I could not identify any of the wires in the overhead player, I decided I was going to use the AUX ports that are on the front of the overhead unit. I removed the DVD player from the overhead pod, and proceeded to open that up to expose the AUX ports from the inside. I unscrewed the ports from the player, and pulled them outside of the unit. (see pic below). I then reinstalled the DVD player in the pod.

DSCN1621.jpg

Now all I needed was the sound to come through for the headphones. Since the sound goes from the overhead unit to the radio, then to the rear seat controls, then back to the radio and overhead unit, this won’t work any more since the factory radio is gone. So what you need to do is splice some wires on the overhead DVD harness that plugs into the overhead unit. Thanks to a thread on this forum (and Smo0othride) I was able to obtain the audio input output leads on the harness. What you need to do is find a way to splice/connect the wire from Pin 7 to Pin 5, Pin 17 to Pin 15, Pin 8 to Pin 6, and Pin 18 to Pin 16. (Basically you are splicing the Audio Out to the Audio In for both the left and right speakers, both the positive and ground leads). I tapped into the wires before the harness plug. Sorry, I don’t have a pic of the wire taps.

DSCN1598.jpg

Now that you have sound, you need power to the overhead DVD. On the main factory radio harness behind the head unit, you need to hook up both power and ground leads to the overhead harness connector. Pin #6 on the DVD connector (Light green/black wire) is the power to the unit, and Pin #3 (Black) is the ground. Tap into the wires and connect them to a switched power source and ground.

DSCN1616.jpg

Now all you have to do is fish a Video cable from the head unit to the overhead DVD, and you are set. The factory cables go across the headliner to the C pillar behind the passenger side second row, down to the floor and over to the center console. Not easy, but take your time and you can do it.

Benefit to hooking the Overhead unit up this way is you can have the Head unit DVD picture on the overhead by hitting the AUX button on the overhead player and have the sound coming through the stereo speakers, OR run the Overhead DVD player and the kids can watch their own show and have sound through the wireless headphones ONLY.

DONE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Splicing was pretty easy with the crimp connectors. Just took about 10 minutes to get them crimped together taking my time. That connector you linked is for the 2007-2008 Expeditions with the CAN BUS connections, so it wouldn't work on my 2006.

I don't have a pic of it installed, but it looks pretty good. It is a bit narrower than the stock HU, but the trim fills out the opening fairly well. I'll get a pic and post it when I get a chance.

Wife and kids really enjoy the Dual Zone playback on the Kenwood. We have our music on the front speakers via tuner and ipod, while they enjoy their CD on the back speakers. So far I love this system.

explorerdude

Reaction score
Looking forward to your pictures.

With the Eddie B edition you must have steering wheel audio controls - how did you deal with that?

Cheers.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the Eddie B edition you must have steering wheel audio controls - how did you deal with that?

Cheers.

The only function I need from the steering wheel is volume, and I decided to forego spending the money on an adapter just for that. I do find myself still hitting the darn button though! lol.

alexwasserman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to fix the aftermarket stereo in my '03 Expy, and get the headphones working on the rear DVD. At the moment the stereo has a mini-plug spliced into the RES DVD harness behind it, that comes out of the dash and plugs into the front AUX in to provide DVD sound through the car speakers. However, the headphones don't work at all.

So, judging from the instructions here, it looks like the following steps are necessary:

What you need to do is find a way to splice/connect the wire from Pin 7 to Pin 5, Pin 17 to Pin 15, Pin 8 to Pin 6, and Pin 18 to Pin 16. (Basically you are splicing the Audio Out to the Audio In for both the left and right speakers, both the positive and ground leads). I tapped into the wires before the harness plug. Sorry, I don’t have a pic of the wire taps.​

I have a question:

Is the same pin configuration used on an '03? I can see that some of the wires have already been spliced together, and given that I have sound on the speakers, and power to the DVD, I don't want to upset that. I just want to get the IR out on the overhead unit to work.

Thanks,

Alex

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the '03 wiring harness for the DVD player is the same as the '06. Best way to find out is to compare the pics I have to your wiring, or to find the diagrams somewhere. I would guess the wiring works the same way..ie sound out from the DVD to the head unit, to the rear controls, back to the head unit, then back to the DVD player. If so, I would assume the DVD audio leads are the same too. If you can jump the leads I mentioned to each other, then you will most likely have both sound to the car speakers, as well as to the IR headsets. I don't know if you will be able to separate the signals from each other without the original head unit, without some sort of toggle switch installed in-line.