How dark is factory tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How dark does Ford tint the rear windows? I want to tint the front windows to match but would rather not go darker or lighter than the back. I live in NY so our legal limit is 70 percent all the way around. Something tells me that the factory is a little darker than 70 percent. Any ideas?

Walk03XLT

Reaction score
I was told on my 03 that the factory tint was 20%. In KS I couldn't get the front windows that dark to match. I believe it was 35% I had to go with. This was a while ago so I hope my memory is correct. I would think that newer models would be the same.

ExpyPlowGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20% will be your closest match to the rear windows when looking at them from the outside. From the inside you will notice a slight difference looking out.

OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20% will be your closest match to the rear windows when looking at them from the outside. From the inside you will notice a slight difference looking out.

Ok so consider me "stupid" to the percentages of window tinting but I live in NY and the law says that the fronts have to be 70%. Now I know when you are talking abou the law having to allow 70% of the light to pass thru.... when you talk about the strength of the tint I hear alot about 20%-35% is the tint really that far off from the written law or does 20% tint = 80% of the light to pass? Does that make sense?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 20% tint on mine... technically been told in NY its too dark... even 35% is too dark for NY law... but I've been lucky so far... but 20% matches the factory pretty good...

OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will probably go with 35. I have a good friend who is a Trooper in NYS and he said that he only stops and writes tickets for tint when they are extreme. If they drive by and can see inside then they usually won't stop you. Thats his opinion of course you never know which cop is having a bad day and wants to write for nothing. I think I will try the 35% and see what happens.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
left up to cop...in VA...its a secondary offense...must violate something else...i.e stop light...stop sign...etc....THEN they can ticket you for the tint...out of state tags come handy...going 5% on top of my 15% that is on top of the factory...5% only on fronts...35% or 20% on windshield with 5% visor...THIS SUMMER!!!

OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
left up to cop...in VA...its a secondary offense...must violate something else...i.e stop light...stop sign...etc....THEN they can ticket you for the tint...out of state tags come handy...going 5% on top of my 15% that is on top of the factory...5% only on fronts...35% or 20% on windshield with 5% visor...THIS SUMMER!!!

Yeah secondary offense that's pretty much what he was saying.. He's been a Trooper for almost 15 years and he has only pulled over once for the tint alone... Very rarely ever tickets for it unless it is insanely dark. Thanks

OP
OP
J

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you know anyone in this forum who has the front tinted windows on a 2010-2011 EL? I would like to see a picture before I commit.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so consider me "stupid" to the percentages of window tinting but I live in NY and the law says that the fronts have to be 70%. Now I know when you are talking abou the law having to allow 70% of the light to pass thru.... when you talk about the strength of the tint I hear alot about 20%-35% is the tint really that far off from the written law or does 20% tint = 80% of the light to pass? Does that make sense?

In regards to tint numbers the % is the amount of light that will pass thru the tint.

Example: 20% tint means that 20% of the light will transmit thru the tint.

Also a key thing to remember is that alot of states have regulations on the reflectivity of the tint. Many of them do not allow this type of tint because the officers can not see in the vehicle.

The reflective tints are usually the best ones because they have a metallic layer to them that reflects the heat, but again make sure to do plenty of research into your local laws first.