Go Back   Ford Expedition Forum > Ford Expedition Forum > Exterior

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Exterior

How dark is factory tint?

This is a discussion on How dark is factory tint? within the Exterior forums, part of the Ford Expedition Forum category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! How dark does Ford tint the rear windows? I want to tint the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Default How dark is factory tint?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
How dark does Ford tint the rear windows? I want to tint the front windows to match but would rather not go darker or lighter than the back. I live in NY so our legal limit is 70 percent all the way around. Something tells me that the factory is a little darker than 70 percent. Any ideas?

2011 Expedition EL XLT
jered22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was told on my 03 that the factory tint was 20%. In KS I couldn't get the front windows that dark to match. I believe it was 35% I had to go with. This was a while ago so I hope my memory is correct. I would think that newer models would be the same.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Members

20% will be your closest match to the rear windows when looking at them from the outside. From the inside you will notice a slight difference looking out.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Originally Posted by ExpyPlowGuy View Post
20% will be your closest match to the rear windows when looking at them from the outside. From the inside you will notice a slight difference looking out.
Ok so consider me "stupid" to the percentages of window tinting but I live in NY and the law says that the fronts have to be 70%. Now I know when you are talking abou the law having to allow 70% of the light to pass thru.... when you talk about the strength of the tint I hear alot about 20%-35% is the tint really that far off from the written law or does 20% tint = 80% of the light to pass? Does that make sense?

2011 Expedition EL XLT
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Supporting Member

I have 20% tint on mine... technically been told in NY its too dark... even 35% is too dark for NY law... but I've been lucky so far... but 20% matches the factory pretty good...

2012 Jeep Patriot....
Formerly a 99 expy with 11" lift and 37s...
walnuts4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Members

I will probably go with 35. I have a good friend who is a Trooper in NYS and he said that he only stops and writes tickets for tint when they are extreme. If they drive by and can see inside then they usually won't stop you. Thats his opinion of course you never know which cop is having a bad day and wants to write for nothing. I think I will try the 35% and see what happens.

2011 Expedition EL XLT
Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Super Moderator

left up to cop...in VA...its a secondary offense...must violate something else...i.e stop light...stop sign...etc....THEN they can ticket you for the tint...out of state tags come handy...going 5% on top of my 15% that is on top of the factory...5% only on fronts...35% or 20% on windshield with 5% visor...THIS SUMMER!!!

04 EB/26" Gianelle Mallorca's/Lexani 305-30-26 tires/5&15% tint/35% windshield+visor/billet UPR-LWR grille/IPCW LED Black Tails/SICK HID's Retro 6K head&fog HIDs/Flowmaster Exhaust/K&N Intake/Power Stop drilled&slotted rotor kit/Superchips Vortex 1950/Pioneer AVIC-D3 Nav/DVD/BT/Boss 15" w/DVD player/12" headrest/2-18" PS1/12 Massive Audio 6.5/3 Nx4 amps/2 Skar Audio 4500.1 amps/Patriot Decals/Eibach Anti-Sway Bar/2" Ground Force drop springs/Suncore air conversion kit

BKA...FREEWAY...AKA...BHSoulja

HOLY ROLLERZ CHRISTIAN CAR CLUB (HRC3) National Member
6K-Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Originally Posted by FREEWAY View Post
left up to cop...in VA...its a secondary offense...must violate something else...i.e stop light...stop sign...etc....THEN they can ticket you for the tint...out of state tags come handy...going 5% on top of my 15% that is on top of the factory...5% only on fronts...35% or 20% on windshield with 5% visor...THIS SUMMER!!!
Yeah secondary offense that's pretty much what he was saying.. He's been a Trooper for almost 15 years and he has only pulled over once for the tint alone... Very rarely ever tickets for it unless it is insanely dark. Thanks

2011 Expedition EL XLT
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Members

Do you know anyone in this forum who has the front tinted windows on a 2010-2011 EL? I would like to see a picture before I commit.

2011 Expedition EL XLT
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Members

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by jered22 View Post
Ok so consider me "stupid" to the percentages of window tinting but I live in NY and the law says that the fronts have to be 70%. Now I know when you are talking abou the law having to allow 70% of the light to pass thru.... when you talk about the strength of the tint I hear alot about 20%-35% is the tint really that far off from the written law or does 20% tint = 80% of the light to pass? Does that make sense?
In regards to tint numbers the % is the amount of light that will pass thru the tint.

Example: 20% tint means that 20% of the light will transmit thru the tint.

Also a key thing to remember is that alot of states have regulations on the reflectivity of the tint. Many of them do not allow this type of tint because the officers can not see in the vehicle.

The reflective tints are usually the best ones because they have a metallic layer to them that reflects the heat, but again make sure to do plenty of research into your local laws first.

Rear cat and Y pipe delete
Smoked corners, tails, and third brake light
2 Hella 500 FF behind grille
8000K HIDs Heads and Fogs

Soon to come

Shorty Headers
3.5" Fabtech 2wd lift kit
33" Tires
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote