Roof rack removal pics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matemike

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of any Gen 3 Expedition with the roof rack removed?

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f40/how-remove-your-roof-rack-18917/

I found that thread and it is exactly what I'm looking for. But I want more. More angles, more colors, more vehicle stances. etc. Maybe even a 2015-2016 with rack removed?

I'm contemplating removing my 2016's roof rack for cosmetics alone. We simply never use the thing, it would be the first thing to get dinged in a low head room garage and I'd bet that it causes some air noise on the highway as well as a little bit of drag too. No matter what, I think we'll benefit from the roof rack removal.
I cannot believe they are through holes where the bolts go, but some thread sealant/tape and a rubber washer at each hole should solve any water ingress problems.

0xowner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting aspect....

Yours appears to have the 6 support posts into the roof whereas my older vehicles have 2 tracks riveted into the roof. Mine in an 2002 are no issue to slide out my 2 posts and crossbars from the track. I still would never remove my tracks though and try to fill in the holes. If I remove things down to the tracks, the tracks can be seen but only say 3/4 if an inch.

The original post you refer to is not for a 2016.... Since it was 2013 post, the racks may have changed. Maybe the poster Solisimo is still active in the forum and message him directly. From his description of the job, it sounds like his was a 2013 or earlier and more similar to mine not yours.

I reread the post and looked over various years... Sounds like he was saying the front and rear posts must be freed up and the length wise bars and posts then slide out, even the middle post. There probably is a base plate below each post that remain.

I'd say, simply try one side.

As a note, I'd rather have my rack bars damaged than my roof itself :)

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gen 2 and 3 are the same 'shell' for non-EL trucks. With that, Ford used a very low profile rail that ran lengthwise on 2003 and 2004 models, as well as on the 2008 FMF Edition. 2005+ trucks went with the taller rack that you speak of.

It utilized two width-wise crossbars that are also removable. This gives you what you are looking for cosmetics wise, but also allows you to have a roof rack possible if ever needed. I bought a pair of 2003/2004 crossbars for my 2008 FMF incase we ever wanted to take up skiing, or camping with a Thule type roof box. Or loading a Christmas tree.

I'm going to speculate the mounting holes under 2005+ tall side rails are the same mounting holes for the 03/04 low-profile side rails.

Random 2003/2004 Expedition, just for reference:
2003fordexpeditioneddiebauer-l-faf1a0a67bcf357d.jpeg

I can take some pictures of my 2008 from different angles, but it'll be several days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
Interesting aspect....

As a note, I'd rather have my rack bars damaged than my roof itself :)

I thought about this. If we're talking about a low head room parking garage, and if the roof is going to get scratched then the bars would have been ripped off by that point thus ripping up the bolt holes too. Possibly even more damage caused from having the darn things in place.

There could be the danger of dropping something straight on top of the roof; like getting a bicycle down from ceiling mounted hooks or if I was driving next to an 18 wheeler and something fell on top, the bars could prevent some damage, but very unlikely it would prevent all. I don't think I'll ever drive in a crane yard to cause worry from something falling on top and if I'm lifting things in my shop with the I-beam and chain hoist there's no way I'd have the expedition close.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
New forum members tend to resurrect old, dead threads, cause we are out looking for stuff.
I know the OP is long gone, but for the next newbie who’s curious about this, I removed my roof rack this evening.

Here’s pics!View media item 6999This pic shows how the rack is attached to the roof. Just slide a screw driver under the cap and it will pop off - it’s only held in place by the one white clip circled in red.
The rack is attached with some rather wimpy T-20 bolts.

As for how it looks? You be the judge.
View media item 7002View media item 7001View media item 7000View media item 7003

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Damn, that looks nice! What'd you use to stuff up the holes?
Just reinserted the bolts for now. I was going to use some Teflon tape and rubber washers on them, but there was already some sealant on them from before and I figured it hasn’t leaked yet, so I’m probably good.

The middle support is held in place by sliding it over some shoulder bolts, and the other bolts are black round heads so they all really stand out from the white roof. If I leave it like this (probably will) I’m going to replace those bolts with some flathead ones, paint them white, and seal them with Teflon tape and washers.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
They make bolt covers in chrome and white. They have a soft plastic flat part with a hole in it that goes on the shank of the screw, then a top lid that snaps onto the flat part to cover the screw head. Trucker chrome shops sell them. They'll waterproof and cover the screw.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
They make bolt covers in chrome and white. They have a soft plastic flat part with a hole in it that goes on the shank of the screw, then a top lid that snaps onto the flat part to cover the screw head. Trucker chrome shops sell them. They'll waterproof and cover the screw.

Thanks for the tip! The shoulder bolts would still stick up quite a ways though, so I will probably still replace them all with something flat.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'd love to see a pic of what the screws look like now and what it looks like when you put the caps on if you do it. I can almost see it in one of your pics. I'm thinking about doing this on mine because of the parking garage I park in. I just barely touch one pipe...