2003+ Ford Expedition & Lincoln Navigator Air Ride Suspension Down Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These air ride systems can be a real pain to diagnose especially without a scan tool. In this video I go over the common failure points on this gen air ride systems with a few examples. If yours is 2003 or newer and the air ride compressor is not coming on this would be the first place to check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvorvYF4lhU

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no...ride didnt change...think i had a leak somewhere...it eventually failed altogether as my front end looked like i was hit the switch for a slammed look...did the conversion

smokinstang65

Reaction score
Juust put in a new strut assembly on the front drivers side of my 06. Got a sweet deal on a pair for the front and bought em considering my expy has 140k miles on it. Installed, the compressor wouldn't come on. Got it home, put it in 4wheel low and bam, compressor came on and jacked the other three bags up nice (well two but I'm not sure if the rear left I is a little low just because it's carrying more of the weight because the front left is down flat.). From your video, you would suggest a new leveling sensor for that strut assembly then?

OP
OP
M

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Juust put in a new strut assembly on the front drivers side of my 06. Got a sweet deal on a pair for the front and bought em considering my expy has 140k miles on it. Installed, the compressor wouldn't come on. Got it home, put it in 4wheel low and bam, compressor came on and jacked the other three bags up nice (well two but I'm not sure if the rear left I is a little low just because it's carrying more of the weight because the front left is down flat.). From your video, you would suggest a new leveling sensor for that strut assembly then?

The leveling sensor is quite common yes and will disable the system. The left rear is a little low because of the left front yes I have been thrown by that before. Best way is to check the voltage of the level sensor with a scan tool while manually moving the sensor arm up and down slowly.

smokinstang65

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. The old one was frozen. Popped the new one in and when put in 4 low, pumped all the way up, however upon return to auto 4wd it seemed to dump it back out now for both fronts. Might need to fiddle with it a little. Does the computer need to run some sort of calibration metric when a new sensor is installed? Also, left rear is still low compared to right rear. Does this have a sensor as well or is it just the fronts.

OP
OP
M

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. The old one was frozen. Popped the new one in and when put in 4 low, pumped all the way up, however upon return to auto 4wd it seemed to dump it back out now for both fronts. Might need to fiddle with it a little. Does the computer need to run some sort of calibration metric when a new sensor is installed? Also, left rear is still low compared to right rear. Does this have a sensor as well or is it just the fronts.
Yeah it may be time for a calibration if you think the fronts are too low as the lowering to trim height in 4wd or 2wd is normal as is raising in 4L is normal. Here is some more info-

4x4 off-road mode is engaged when the vehicle 4x4 system operates in 4x4 low mode at a speed of less than 30 km/h (19 mph), and is defined as 25 mm (0.98 in) above trim height.
Height sensor:
The system uses 3 height sensors — LF, RF and rear.
Height sensor output voltage is between 0.5 and 4.5 volts.
The LF and RF have opposite electrical polarities.
Height sensor voltage output decreases (goes from high to low) as the suspension system raises.
The suspension ride height changes when:
the ignition key is in the RUN position, the doors and liftgate are closed and the vehicle is shifted to DRIVE or REVERSE, ride height changes from kneel to trim.
the ignition key is in the OFF position, the doors and liftgate are CLOSED, ride height changes from kneel to trim.
the 4x4 system mode is switched to 4x4 low, the ride height changes to off-road

smokinstang65

Reaction score
When the system is turned off, what happens? I thought the bags would hold air at the previous height. I put it in 4L, let it jack up the suspension all the way, kept it turned on and turned off the suspension. I went inside, and it was fine, it stayed at that height for 4 hours. I came back out to drive and meet up with someone and each bump I hit I could hear what sounded like hissing from the struts and by the time I got to the destination, both were fully down again.

I now understand why people say these things annoy em. Got another sensor coming for the front right since it looks pretty rusty. Will see if that solves the problem.

OP
OP
M

makuloco2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the system is turned off, what happens? I thought the bags would hold air at the previous height. I put it in 4L, let it jack up the suspension all the way, kept it turned on and turned off the suspension. I went inside, and it was fine, it stayed at that height for 4 hours. I came back out to drive and meet up with someone and each bump I hit I could hear what sounded like hissing from the struts and by the time I got to the destination, both were fully down again.

I now understand why people say these things annoy em. Got another sensor coming for the front right since it looks pretty rusty. Will see if that solves the problem.

Oh that makes sense yeah you have one that is leaking when extended I had that before on a later build expedition like yours. The rears have a standard shock that goes through the air spring and there is 2 seals that contain the air. You will have to check to see where it is leaking exactly though by jacking up the truck from the frame to extend them.