Front end annoying clunking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkc1962

Reaction score
I got this truck last year with 109k. Soon after I got it home I started hearing a clunking noise coming from the driver side front end, mainly when only on a bumpy road. I had similar on my old ford so suspected either a tie rod end or control arms. I did the following,

New upper control arm and ball Joints.( both lower joints were extremely sloppy) New Lower Ball joints. removed lower control arm for inspection during that but bushings were fine. New Tie rod ends as 1 was looser than I cared to see. Only item I saw left was the small stabilizer link But it did not appear to have much wear. I also recently did a Air to coilover conversion. Here I am after all that and Still when I go over a bumpy terrain I hear that annoying clunking noise. Ive ordered the stabilizer links just for the heck of it, but really have doubts that is the problem. :Frustrated:

Any ideas on any joint I may have overlooked or someone that has experienced similar?

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
When you say stabilizer bolts....are you referring to the bolts that are in the hold down arm that holds the stabilizer rod to the chassis?

If its what I am thinking it is, that would be just about under my left foot when driving, and that is about where it seems the sound is coming from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Crawled uner truck last night. If the stabilizier bolts are those I am refering to in my reply above. Then no they look ok. just guessing approx 5/16" x 3" long, mounted from frame downward with nuts on the stabilizer bar clamp. All appeared to be snug and not broken.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They go from the lower control arm to the ends of the bar. They have a plastic or metal sleeve on them and are about 6 inches long. Mine rotted and broke inside the sleeve and I couldn't tell until I pushed up on the bar and pulled them apart.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Yeah Stabilizer links (sway bar links) is what I have ordered as mine has a small amount of play in it . But, you mentioned stabilizer BOLTS. BOLTS is what I was asking the location of. Still waiting on the links to arrive, and maybe that is the noise I am hearing, but they sure dont appear worn enough to making the loud noise I am hearing. They are surely not broken.

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Stabilizer links arrived yesterday. Installed this morning. Took for test ride and appears may have fixed the noise. The only thing that bothers me is the links/joints I removed sure did not seem very loose at all, though they were a bit looser than the new ones. Thanks for the feedback Copper.

getimage.php

Last edited:

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck snapped both links and it wasnt too bad to replace. The hardest part was getting the old ones out. They had to come out in pieces

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
grrrr....spoke too soon. We went out of town this weekend and after about 30 mins down the road, there we go again. Stabilizer links was definately Not the cure. Still very obvious that is it coming from the driver front side, but I have replaced or inspected every single joint that moves and ever bolt or nut on that side of the front end. Including the door hinges, chassis mounts and running board mounts....not a clue here.