2003 5.4L Tune Up Details Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSRocket

Reaction score
I am planning on replacing the coil packs and plugs on my 2003 Expedition XL 5.4 L. I am approaching 200K miles and last had them changed at 100k. Are there any posts detailing the steps that might help?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are some very good videos on you tube about changing the plugs and coils.

I have never had the need to change coil packs but I will always install new boots along with new plugs. And I always use dielectric grease on the coil wire inside of the boot . Most of the time when removing the coil and plug the boot will get damaged.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used several extensions and u-joint type socket swivels when I did mine, made the job much easier. Also need a spark plug socket that's either magnetic or has the rubber piece inside to grab the plug once it's unscrewed. I applied dielectric grease to the sealing surfaces on the boots and anti seize to the plug threads. Other than that just take your time it isn't very difficult.

rice_classic

Reaction score
On the 2003, if you buy Motorcraft plugs you should not use anti-seize on the threads, or if you do, use very very little. The Motorcraft plugs have nickel plated threads and using anti-seize (or too much) is part of the reason why these engines pop-out spark plugs.

I bought a 2003 used, it had a ticking noise which was a result of this very thing. One of the plugs was loose because the previous owner changed the plugs and used plenty of anti-seize.

I did use the Motorcraft plugs and I did use anti-seize but only a tiny bit.

Edit: other tune up items:

1: I didn't change the coil packs but I did clean the boots and springs and use dielectric grease.
2: Changed all the filters: Oil, air, PCV, fuel, transmission filter
3: Changed all the fluids: Coolant, oil, transfer, transmission, Diff (with friction modifier to keep my LSD from chattering), bled the brakes.
4: I inspected everything but my rig doesn't have serviceable joints (no zerk fittings) and the bearings, ball joints and tie rods all felt healthy with no play.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01