Need help with side view mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misfit

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Expedition, Eddie Bauer, with heated/turn signal mirrors.

Apparently, the drivers side mirror had broke, and the previous owner replaced it with a standard, power only no heat/signal mirror. And the passenger side mirror is original, but it also busted.

So I ordered 2 new mirrors from Rock auto, they get here, only to find they are signal only, no heat. So the plugs are different. So i returned them to Rock auto.

But a search for heated signal mirrors is coming up NOTHING, they just don't exist.

I really wanted the signals, didn't care so much about the heated part.

My questions are :

1. Is there a way to just cut the plug off, and hard wire them to the harness, just so the power and signals work?

2. I've seen these towing mirrors, that look exactly like newer F-150 tow mirrors, but the ad states they fit 2000 Expedition. But in the pictures, it's the wrong plug. So I'd still end up having to do wiring work?

I'm just so over these damn mirrors, I bought this truck for 1,500 just to have a tow rig/play toy and getting some good looking functioning mirrors on it is about to drive me insane.

What would you guys suggest? or does anyone have a wiring diagram of the harness for the mirrors?

OP
OP
Misfit

Misfit

Reaction score
Here are some pics that will hopefully make the issue very clear, and hopefully help yall help me find a way to make this stuff work so I can move onto other things with this truck.

Attachments

• harness1.jpg
    harness1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 129
  • harness2.jpg
    harness2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 154
  • harness3.jpg
    harness3.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Misfit

Misfit

Reaction score
This is the pictured plug from those Ebay tow mirrors..personally it looks just like the wrong plug in my last post? Curious what I need to do here..

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 108

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely, plugs can be cut off and connections can be soldered together. Just need to be sure of the wiring on both sides. Can probably just as easily rearrange the pin-out on one plug side or the other. (IE: move wire #4 to position #7) I'd ask the ebay seller if he is using a stock photo or the actual part.

I'd probably not invest $400+ in mirrors for a $1500 truck, but if its a towing rig you want, then the telescoping mirrors are the way to go.

There are two different styles of signal mirrors - LED arrows in the glass itself:
41FZCSD2J0L._SX425_.jpg

The other has incandescent bulb & red lens on the far outside edge of the mirror housing:
1662-4745-83352.jpg

They have them with and without memory, painted or chrome skull caps, heated and non-heated, etc.

Ebay seller "carpartswholesale" usually has a good selection of Kool-View brand replacement mirrors at good prices. Like item 231004281683, $159.34 shipped to your door. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Misfit

Misfit

Reaction score
I've actually found what the problem is, I could have sworn my truck had factory signal mirrors but it did not.

It has heated mirrors with no signal, but it has the option of the memory mirrors for an additional driver. But all of the mirrors I had been able to find had the wrong plug.

I found the correct set of mirrors on rock auto with the correct plug, but they are only heated and not signal.

I also noticed there is a set of towing mirrors that look exactly like the ones that come on the new F150, they say they are for a 2000 expedition but in the picture it has the same plug that I can't use.

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an '02 XLT with power heated mirrors - no turn signal. My connector is NOT the same as the pic you posted.

This is what my mirror-side connectors look like.

Mir2_zpsu6j4rwum.jpg

You could rewire, but it might take some time to get it right.