Best Expedition model for off roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harrison

Reaction score
I have had a 1997 XLT, 4.6L, 2WD and a Navigator on the same chassis with the 5.4L. Both worked just fine for my needs at the time.

Now, I am looking for an older Expedition (1997-2000ish) with 4x4 and would appriciate some advice on which model to get and what to look out for. (Eddie Bauer/XLT/Etc.)

I am in Mexico and the selection will be limited and I will not be able to lift it or do many mods like that.

Should I avoid airbags? Are certain transmissions or transfer cases are better than others?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The 97 & 98s had the most robust driveline and 4wd system.

In later years they added full time all wheel drive, integrated wheel ends and independent rear suspension. All those 'advancements' made it less desirable for off roading.

That's not to say that you couldn't modify a later model to be a great off roader, but you said that you will need to keep it pretty stock.

OP
OP
H

harrison

Reaction score
Great, so I'll be looking for a 97-98 XLT 4x4 with a 4W100 transmission and 3.73 gears with a limited slip.

Any pointers on how to ID the tranny and guts in the rear end? Is there a particurlar VIN number I should look out for? Factory tow package?

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can probably source a leveling kit and fit 33" tires pretty easily. Tires might be your best friend in your situation.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can fit 35s with the torsion keys all the way up.
Here is the link he is on f150 forum for some reason.

Attachments

• 99rckstrexpy-albums-35-mud-grapplers-rockstars-picture148835-harleys-truck-002.jpg
    99rckstrexpy-albums-35-mud-grapplers-rockstars-picture148835-harleys-truck-002.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7,728
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

harrison

Reaction score
Thanks!

I'll be keeping this rig as low-key as possible. I don't want any more attention than absolutely necessary. So, moderate tires, maybe a locker, skid plates, etc.

BTW, a Google search for 4W100 transmission doesn't provide a lot of help. Is there another name or ID for this transmissioin? Is it common?