1998 Eddie Bauer / Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little background: This will be the 2nd 1st gen Expedition I've had; I also had a 1st gen Navi (intech), and got my mother a 1st gen Expedition last summer as well--I just love these things, and have since I saw them when I was a teenager and thought I'd never be able to afford one.

I started searching for an Expedition and found what I consider to be a gem(for what I paid). It's a 1998 Eddie Bauer, with 115k miles. The previous owner owns a parts business, and is a motorcraft parts dealer. He purchased the vehicle @102k miles, and replaced nearly everything as routine maintenance; coil packs, plugs, battery, alternator, a/c compressor, belts, hoses, rear window supports... even the wiper arms. Additionally, the transmission & coolant systems were flushed at the same time (always great news.) He also gave me 4 new rotors and pads for all the way around too! I am truly amazed at the condition of everything: interior, exterior, and especially mechanically.

I purchased it last week, and have already bought most of the parts for a lightning swap. I've got a huge advantage in that one of my best friends owns an EFI tuning business specializing in fords, has a dyno on site, etc and is helping me every step of the way.

Thus far, we've got MOST of the parts needed from a Lightning that had 77k miles on it. My friend above also hooked me up with a set of ported PI heads for an awesome price, and we'll be doing cams & headers as well (undecided on cams/headers, any suggestions?)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 533814_10200446924961415_863219843_n.jpg
    533814_10200446924961415_863219843_n.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,234
  • $(KGrHqJ,!qoFCS2KvcLFBQ1etRETIg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!qoFCS2KvcLFBQ1etRETIg~~60_57.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 3,374

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks good. Keep us posted on how the build goes.

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Decided on the cam/exhaust setup yesterday afternoon and ordered more parts.

-Turns out all 2v cams are the same (f150, lightning, mustang) and I've got a set. Considering the power some lightnings are making and I don't want a huge lope anyway, I'm rolling with those.

-As far as the headers, decided to go with shorty's. If anyone hasn't seen the stock manifolds up close... we pulled a set off of a f250 w/ a 5.4--horrible design.

Yesterday I ordered the headers, full gasket set, head bolts, & a JLT lightning CAI.

Check out this video... the sound of the blower with the jlt cai sold me. (I had the JLT expedition 5.4 ram air intake on a former expedition--excellent quality.)
JLT CAI Ford Lightning test - YouTube

As of now the remaining parts needed are: A lightning or aftermarket MAF, heat exchanger, spark plugs, then misc tubing/small stuff that I can get a local store. I can't wait to have it all on the expedition!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Very nice!

Good luck with the build and welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very nice!

Good luck with the build and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for pointing me to that site and your build thread--big helps.

Cooling update:
I do not plan on going over 8# (stock) of boost so a stock(ish) cooling system should be sufficient. Yesterday we bought a stock cobra HE since we got a good deal on it. It appears to be not as tall vertically as the stock lightning HE but thicker so the overall surface area should be fine. Thanks to toms89 for pointing me to lightningrodder, I found a guy selling oil separators & 2 7" fans for the HE over there as a package deal for $110 with a new pcv valve. Good deal, paid for it this morning. We are also probably going to get a larger reservoir tank to increase overall volume of coolant. If anyone has any good bang-for-buck ideas on the cooling side, post 'em up!

I also went ahead and got a fairly good size transmission cooler: Buy Imperial Maxi-Kool® XL Transmission Oil Cooler 243012 at Advance Auto Parts

Used a coupon code and site-to-store to get it for $45.

Fuel pump has been ordered as well.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posting more pics of the engine all the way around and as you add cams etc will give folks something to reference for other projects.

I think having 20 or more pics as close up as will fit the engine in the photo frame will give the forum material to point out to others and using arrows etc. I see a good opportunity here if you have the time to facilitate this. If you take a ton of pics and don't want to bother posting then I would be happy to do this for you.

If a picture paints a thousand words then a hundred photos would speak volumes.

OP
OP
SWAGGA

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posting more pics of the engine all the way around and as you add cams etc will give folks something to reference for other projects.

I think having 20 or more pics as close up as will fit the engine in the photo frame will give the forum material to point out to others and using arrows etc. I see a good opportunity here if you have the time to facilitate this. If you take a ton of pics and don't want to bother posting then I would be happy to do this for you.

If a picture paints a thousand words then a hundred photos would speak volumes.

Absolutely, when the tear down/construction begins I'll take lots of pics and post anything learned along the way.

Razor

Reaction score
Very cool... I have the opportunity to do the same thing. Still on the fence!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on sharing & documenting the experience.

Tom, did you invite him to the blown expy section? Belay that, I see he's already there :)

Last edited: