04 Exp Eddie Bauer towing 26 ft boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skiffler

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the site and a new owner of an 04 Expedition EB with the tow package (8650 lbs I believe). I got a great deal when I bought her she only had 38k miles on her now I think I have 44k smooth riding truck I love it.

Anyhow I am looking at buying a 26 foot boat that total weight including the trailer would be around 8000 to 8500 lbs. I plan to tow a few times a year on trips that would range up to 300 miles. On paper I am within spec but does anyone have any real experience towing with a similar package I live near Annapolis Maryland most of the towing will be on fairly flat ground from Annapolis to OC MD or to the OBX. Thanks in advance for the advice and help.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulling it will be no problem. Stopping it is more important. Make sure the trailer brakes are working properly.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem may lie with the type of trailer brakes. Most boat trailers have surge brakes that won't allow the use of a weight dist. hitch that will be necessary to pull that much weight. Anything over 6000 lbs on a second gen Expy requires the use of a WDH. If the trailer has electric brakes, you should be OK with a WDH properly set up.

OP
OP
S

Skiffler

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. Stoned I ll look into the electric brakes do I have to get a separate wire harness for those? I towed my brothers boat with the expy I would estimate it a 6000 lbs pulled and stop without a problem.

Do your trucks have any engine mods would it be worth the money for an intake cat back exhaust and a tuner to give me a little more umph.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would just need the 7 pin hookup at the hitch, and a electric brake controller and harness (comes with the towing package) that plugs in under the dash. I personally haven't run e-brakes, but I have heard of a couple really good controllers that aren't too expensive. I'll just have to try to remember the brands :think:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think of of the popular brands in here is Prodigy. I wouldn't think that electric brakes would be good on a boat trailer. Having to back into water and all that.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tekonsha Prodigy/P3 is what I was thinking of. yellercobra is right about the electric brakes and water, as that is why boat trailers are usually surge brakes. I have heard of some being used and they disconnect the harness before backing in. But if it's a steep ramp, you now have no brakes to stop from pulling you in with it, esp if it's a heavy boat. I would talk to a trailer manufacturer and see what they would recommend in your situation.
Our 26 ft. cuddy cabin with aluminum trailer weighed in at just over 6000 lbs. I was a little heavy, but the Expy handled it great without a WDH. But at 8000 lbs+, I wouldn't risk it.

OP
OP
S

Skiffler

Reaction score
Yeah I learned about surge brakes and backing up a few years ago......it's kinda of a pain to get out and pin the tongue to go in reverse.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surge brakes don't work while backing up, either.
Now that you mention it, this is true. I had an electric actuator that locked out the brake line pressure to the trailer when the vehicle was put into reverse. Forgot about that as the boat has been gone for a couple of years.