3.31 or 3.73

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deano_1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What is the biggest difference between the two gears. I am thinking of trading my 2009 Avalanche for a 2014 Expedition. Is it only the XLT that comes with the 3.73. How much does that change the towing capacity. I have a 27fl Flagstaff camper with a ProPride hitch. I know the 3.31 will get better mileage, but how much differently will it tow with the smaller gears? Is it only the ELT with the 3.73?

Thanks,
Deano

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped out my 3.31 to 3.73's and they made a huge difference. I see that I have a better acceleration but my top end sucks. It also sucks that my speedometer is off by 10 miles and NEED A TUNE but I wont tune it till I finish building it. Gas mileage is a bit better I think, I got 1 more MPG.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

What is the biggest difference between the two gears. I am thinking of trading my 2009 Avalanche for a 2014 Expedition. Is it only the XLT that comes with the 3.73. How much does that change the towing capacity. I have a 27fl Flagstaff camper with a ProPride hitch. I know the 3.31 will get better mileage, but how much differently will it tow with the smaller gears? Is it only the ELT with the 3.73?

Thanks,
Deano

a 373 gets better MPGs than a 331 does. not much though.
to be seriously honest if any one is buying or plans on buying a heavy ford the buyer should always have a 373 gear in there vehicle.
373 are better for towing and 331 are really only good for highway driving even though the 373 does a good job cruising.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your avalanche the 6.2/6.0 or 5.3? If you have the bigger engine I would stay where you are, fit and finish on the fords sucks big time. I've had suburbans, silverados and a QX80 and this ford is on par with a 90's chrysler product as far as fit and finish. If it was just one expedition that seemed poorly built I would excuse it but having had loaners and rentals and seeing others 1st hand I think it's just ford's job.

That being said I have 3.73s in my 2013 standard length, while my '13 was in the shop I had a loaner which was equipped with 2wd (lighter) and 3.31s, it was a complete turd for 0-90 MPH, no matter the speed it just couldn't get out of it's own way. My 3.73s pull better anywhere in that range (0-90) however my wife's QX80 will flat out walk away from the expedition in every situation.

Keep in mind the expedition takes almost 9 seconds to make 60 and almost 16.5 to get through the 1/4 mile. Car and Driver hit the nail on the head with this quote:

Lows:
Gas goes whoosh, park at others' risk, a slow Conestoga.

OP
OP
D

Deano_1

Reaction score
I ended up trading the Avalanche for the 14 Expedition. I got a pretty good deal and so far I am happy. I will interested to see how this tows with the 3.37 vs. the 3.21 or whatever the Avalanche had. I will keep you posted and thanks for the advice!

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
require? how so?

Re-Read his first post. He was looking for a NEW expedition and deciding between 3.31s and 3.73s. He doesn't say anything about swapping gears that's an assumption you made. If he wants a factory modified P2 platform vehicle with 4.10s as you suggest he would have to go with the Navigator. That is the ONLY new modified P2 platform vehicle which uses 4.10s from the factory.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys would 4.10's really be good for a 06 exp. with the 5.4? I mean what will the take off feel like? do you have to upgrade the bearings and other things?