after market 'tow package'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erictheall

Reaction score
Greetings, all!

I recently bought a used '08 Expy Limited 4x2. At the time I purchased, I was under the impression that the vehicle included the tow package. I now know that, while it does have a class IV hitch and 4-pin connector, it does not have the tow package. I'm in the process of collecting info to take back to the dealer.

So here's the question... I know I need a brake controller and 7-pin connector. I also know I need a trans cooler. I have heard mixed opinions regarding an upgraded radiator. Some folks say get it, others say no. Keep in mind that this is a 6 week, visit-20-national-parks trip... crossing the Rockies twice in June/July.

Would it be sily to NOT upgrade the radiator?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You definitely need to upgrade the radiator to a bigger one and install a high capacity oil filter.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being you are taking it back to the dealer and you didn't say if it was a Ford dealer.

I would take it to a Ford dealer and ask for a quote to have the Expy upgraded to the heavy duty tow package. Once you have a quote then decide if you want them to do the upgrade or have it done elsewhere or by yourself

Ask for a break-down of all that is required to do the upgrade. You may also want to consider buying a good brake controller as you may find it will be less cost than a dealer Look at a good Tekonsha Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Controler

What will you be towing and also what is the dry and gross weights of the rig.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heavy duty trailer tow package became standard on the Limited in 2009, so you just missed it by a year. I would upgrade the radiator.